35 GALLON STOCKING IDEAS!

That's sort of what I meant. Anubias and java fern are fine as they are grown attached to decor, but no plants that are rooted in the substrate or they'll be uprooted by the fish. And possibly eaten. Fish tend not to eat anubias and java fern.

Black clay fluorite is a plant substrate which won't be needed if there are no plants rooted in it. And if your water is not quite hard enough, you'll need to use a calcareous substrate for African cichlids (assuming you mean cichlids from one of the Rift Lakes rather than kribs which are soft water fish)
Thanks a lot for the info

When I had cichlids years ago I had plastic plants and they tore them up too,They also became very aggressive when they were in breeding pairs so they ended up the only fish besides a pleco in my 55 gallon tank.

Regarding a catfish, be aware of the bioload. If your planning on over stocking with cichlids to disperse aggression then I'd personally say to avoid anything else purely to minimise the stress on your bacteria levels. If not, then by all means I'd say give it a go but be prepared to monitor the situation. If the BN or whatever else is taking to much of a battering have a plan in place to safely remove it if you need to.

With the fairly hard water you have, and with rift lake cichlids, you do not want Bristlenose or similar South American plecos or catfish; these need much softer water, plus they are not of a temperament to work with the cichlids.

It isnt that straight forward though is it. If for example is pH was in the high 7s as opposed to the low 8s many people successfully keep plecs with cichlids. In fact even the big mbuna tanks, if ever you see of someone successfully keeping a non cichlid in with them, chances are it's a common plec. Considering the similarities of care between a common and a a BN and considering the species of cichlid under consideration, in theory it could work. I'm not saying it definitely would, hence close monitoring and a plan already in place for removal if necessary but let's not forget we are discussing BN which are a mass produced and pretty hardy species. You'd have to consider it an experiment for sure, you'd have to forward plan for sure, but theoretically it could well work.

I do not believe in experimenting with fish. I also feel it is better to give known advice to members who are probably less experienced than some of us. I doubt the OP has the available tank space to deal with problems, and such problems are more likely to occur than not if the fish are healthy and "normal." We do know how a species behaves and what its requirements are, and it is always better to assume the norm and provide accordingly.

And a species does not change its inherent needs just because it is raised in a tank for a few years or decades. Fish can only adapt by evolution. A BN is not more "hardy" with respect to its requirements for a healthy life. And I would hope that all aquarists have this goal of providing the best environment for the fish they acquire.

As soon as somebody disagrees with the overall philosophy on here it's automatically assumed they are some sort of fish abuser. If you can't forward plan, don't experiment. I was pretty clear about that from the off really.
Most of the time a fish species such as a BN gets to the level of being mass produced and widespread as it is, the reason is its natural hardiness has allowed it to adapt well to a range of aquaria. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to that rule but it's usually a pretty solid one. Add that to a good few generations of being mass produced in a variety of locations.
Anyway, I digress. In this case I would not recommend the BN. However the reason would be more based on a lack of ability to have a good plan b rather than the water.
Also, considering the original discussion was about a rift lake species tank I had reasonable grounds, wether correct or not to assume the OP already had a basic understanding of fish behaviours and compatability.

As soon as somebody disagrees with the overall philosophy on here it's automatically assumed they are some sort of fish abuser. If you can't forward plan, don't experiment. I was pretty clear about that from the off really.
Most of the time a fish species such as a BN gets to the level of being mass produced and widespread as it is, the reason is its natural hardiness has allowed it to adapt well to a range of aquaria. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to that rule but it's usually a pretty solid one. Add that to a good few generations of being mass produced in a variety of locations.
Anyway, I digress. In this case I would not recommend the BN. However the reason would be more based on a lack of ability to have a good plan b rather than the water.
Also, considering the original discussion was about a rift lake species tank I had reasonable grounds, wether correct or not to assume the OP already had a basic understanding of fish behaviours and compatability.

This topic has a thread of its own and several of us have responded to these aspects. But the "philosophy" on here is not confined to this forum because it is the philosophy of the scientific community dealing with fish. The BN has not evolved to live in water comparable to the rift lakes. And being massed produced in different locations has no bearing on the inherent physiological aspects of a species that have evolved over thousands of years. Some of these may be ignored, but at a cost to the fish.

Your right, there is zero reason behind them being as widespread and successfully kept on a long term basis around the world. My mistake, in fact, come to think of it your right, only one person has successfully kept one happily for the duration of its lifespan. My gosh that chaps GH sure as hell must have been to the decimal, perfection.
To the OP, I apologise and sincerely hope the tank turns out perfect for you.

Regarding a catfish, be aware of the bioload. If your planning on over stocking with cichlids to disperse aggression then I'd personally say to avoid anything else purely to minimise the stress on your bacteria levels. If not, then by all means I'd say give it a go but be prepared to monitor the situation. If the BN or whatever else is taking to much of a battering have a plan in place to safely remove it if you need to.
Good idea. However I've decided to go with a small school of Bosmani rainbows instead of cichlids now.

Most reactions

Back