35 Gallon Hi-Tech Medium Light

uGlitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is what I have so far. I put it in the wrong section of the forum, but i'll be updating this regularly. Enjoy! :)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/362797-35-gallon-planted-updated/

I moved some plants around and I think it looks much better personally :)

I went to my LFS today and bought some Cryptocoryne Parva for the front of the tank. I can't wait to see how it looks after it spreads! :)

I also added in more harlequins for my shoal. There's about 12x Harlequin Rasboras in the tank now.

My 7 panda cory's are still as cute as ever. Swimming about as a group. :blush: :good:

Now to let it sit and grow out! :fun:

Nice looking tank! :good: I especially like that nice big piece of driftwood situated on the right. Once everything grows out & the Cryptocoryne Parva spread across the front it should look absolutely stunning.

Just one question, it looks like you got at least 3 - 4 inches of multilayer substrate in there. What is that dark bottom layer consist of? Potting soil? Peat Moss? I'm assuming it's not Fluorite because I don't think you'd "cap" Fluorite with sand like that, but who knows... I'm assuming the whole set up is fairly new because if that is indeed potting soil or peat moss then that 3 - 4 inches will eventually go down to about 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

Also what kind of lighting are you running & are you using CO2 at all?

Again, great looking tank! & the best of luck with it.

Yay replies! I was beginning to think i was talking to myself. :p

@AvidD
The substrate consistes of fluorite, topsoil, then sand. I was unaware you're not supposed to "cap off" fluorite. Why is that? :S
I am running 2 T5 bulbs. 1x 39 watt 10k lumen and 1x 21 watt colormax bulb
I had the fluval 88g CO2 kit in running in my tank for a while, but the 88g cartridge only lasted about 2.5-3 weeks and replacements cost around $20 each. Idk if I will set up CO2 in my tank again, but since all the plants I have in my tank do not require CO2, I think I may just leave it be. :S

@Biulu
The plants in the back left corner is what my LFS called alternauthera rosaefolia. I looked it up, but didn't find much on it. :(
All i know about them is what my LFS told me: it's a background plant.

@AvidD The substrate consistes of fluorite, topsoil, then sand. I was unaware you're not supposed to "cap off" fluorite. Why is that? :S

Oh I by no means meant to imply that you shouldn't cap fluorite, I was just wondering why YOU chose to.

Reason I was wondering is because I know a lot of people like to use it solo to get that nice contrast between their plants & substrate. I also know people that mix fluorite with sand to darken their sand a bit. But for the purposes of providing great fertilization (especially to heavy root feeding plants like those swords you got it there) capping it under a layer of sand makes sense.

I love following planted tank builds.

I have planted tanks, but it's all low light, DIY CO2 set ups. Kind of strapped for cash ATM, but eventually I would like to get into high light set ups. I'd really love to get a nice carpet of Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) growing in my 55g but HC requires high light. Whenever I get around to building a high light set up I'd invest in pressurized CO2 @ that time. Until then I'll just have to keep tinkering around with my CFL bulbs & yeast, sugar, & JELL-O DIY CO2 recipes lol.

Yay replies! I was beginning to think i was talking to myself. :p

@Biulu
The plants in the back left corner is what my LFS called alternauthera rosaefolia. I looked it up, but didn't find much on it. :(
All i know about them is what my LFS told me: it's a background plant.

Lol, yes that sometimes happens with the journals....

You must have alternaNthera rosaefolia. It is a variety of alternanthera reineckii. This is indeed a background stemplant and should be able to reach the surface of your tank. You only may find it is not doing as well as you expect it to as it requires bright light and preferred temperature between 18 and 20 degrees.

@AvidD
Yay for planted tanks! :)
This is actually my first planted tank. I've done quite a bit of research beforehand and I thought I might as well do it right the first time if I'm going to invest my time and money on it.
For a long while I've been debating between HC and dwarf hairgrass, but eventually decided against both. I'm liking the way it looks right now, so I guess I made the right choice! :p

@Biulu
Oh no! :(
LFS strikes again. I may want to return them then, as I keep my tank quite warm (~82F) and I only have 1.8WPG of light.
Hopefully this time I'll make more of an informed choice.
What's another red plant that may do well in my tank?

Alright, I'll give it a try. Hopefully it'll do well with some CO2 in there.
I'm probably going to go buy a refill soon after I find a place that sells them cheap. :p

Here's a picture from this morning with the Cryptocoryne Parvas in the front. :)
Everything's looking as lively as ever! It's a shame I only have my phone camera though. :/

jun1120117425.jpg

Update! :hyper:

My water wisteria has been growing like weeds! I've trimmed them and ended up with 3 new bushes. :shout:
The alternanthera rosaefolia is looking quite skinny unfortunately :( I might have to switch them out for something else later on.
No change with the anubias nana. Looking green, but no growth.
Swords started getting some brown patches on the leaves, any ideas as to why? :/
cryptocoryne parvas are green, but also no new growth.

Am I doing something wrong? :crazy:
All my plants aren't really growing (other than the water wisteria). Help please! :(

Have you checked whether the patches on the cryptocoryne are algae? If it is not, it is likely that they are going through a melt, which is normal. These plants are normally grown emersed and once you have them a while in your tank they will melt and come back with submersed growth; nothing to worry about. Anubias are slow growers, so nothing to worry about there either.

What you can do to speed up growth with crypts is to ensure you have nutrients in the substrate. I forgot whether you have an inert substrate or not. If you do, try to put some root tablets close to the crypts. If your plants are small, use half a tablet for a group of 4 - 5 plants and repeat this every month.

The crypts are more stable now, a week ago they were losing leaves like crazy! I was freaking out! :S

I do have fluorite under the sand and I dose trace elements once a week after water changes.
unfortunately, im still seeing brown spots on my swords. I believe my lfs said they were brazillian swords?

Thanks for all the help btw. This is my first attempt at a planted setup and I want to do it right! :)

Most reactions

Back