30x12x15 - Whats the volume in UK/US gallons

Malt_Vinegar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As title really, curious about setting up a new tank, i have my eye on one at the moment.

Will fit a space i have left very well, just a little worried about the weight, and wondering how much i can stock in it, and what kind of fish most people would go for in this sort of size tank :)

To calc the us gallons, you'd take the length X width X height in inches, divided by 231. I've heard water weighs around 8 1/2 pounds per gallon.

to calculate it without the use of one of those,

for UK gallons, LxWxD in inches divide by 276

for Litres, LxDxW in cm and divide by 1000

ste :)

And 1 liter water is 1 kg ;) So, I really don't understand why you people use so difficult measure-units like gallons and pounds, and when you want to know final results, you need to divide it by some numbers :lol:

E.g. if your tank is:

100 cm long (=10 dm)
40 cm wide (=4 dm)
50 cm high (=5 dm)

Then volume is V=100*40*50 (cm^3)/1000 <=> V=10*4*5= 200 (dm^3) and because 1 dm^3 is 1 liter, then its volume is 200 liters and weight is 200 kg. So easy...

Generally... Area, A is got, when you multiply lenght by widht. Volume is got when you multiply area by height (h): V=Ah. So simply: V=l*w*h or V=A*h. It's probably easier to calculate your tank volume using V=Ah, if tank has more corners.

mrV said:
And 1 liter water is 1 kg ;) So, I really don't understand why you people use so difficult measure-units like gallons and pounds, and when you want to know final results, you need to divide it by some numbers :lol:
I agree! It would be so nice to be standard on this stuff. I remember in the 70's, the US tried to convert to the metric system, and failed :/

I remember in the 70's, the US tried to convert to the metric system, and failed

It needs time to know how to use new system, although metric-system is very easy. And if you think about some elder peoples... They will not adapt the new system. E.g. we use euros nowadays and before it we had finnish mark (1 euro = 5,94573 marks) so first it was difficut to use new currency and when I went to stores I always convert euros to marks (15 euros*6 is about 90 marks etc...) I do it nowadays too because Im used to use marks - but not so often, usually only then when I buy some expensive stuffs.

I'm still both confused and somewhat irritated by how people state their tanks in gallons, esp when a UK gallon is not a US gallon while a litre is a litre in any country.

Stryker said:
I'm still both confused and somewhat irritated by how people state their tanks in gallons, esp when a UK gallon is not a US gallon while a litre is a litre in any country.
I do both ;)

Malt - that sounds like the sort of tank I am thinking about getting too. Great minds think alike!! :)

Stryker said:
Well sorry to irritate you... but everyone in my country speaks in gallons not litres, so I do too! :D

Like I said, it would be nice if we'd all speak the same language when it comes to measurements, but it doesn't really irritate me. It's more like one of those differences that makes things challenging and interesting. ;)

heresmike said:
Stryker said:
Well sorry to irritate you... but everyone in my country speaks in gallons not litres, so I do too! :D

Like I said, it would be nice if we'd all speak the same language when it comes to measurements, but it doesn't really irritate me. It's more like one of those differences that makes things challenging and interesting. ;)
You not the one bidding against me right now are you :p

Malt_Vinegar said:
Water weighs about 8.5 lbs (3.9 kilo) per gallon but with the substrate and ornaments you need to figure about 10 lbs per gallon.

Malt, That might be me, if the bid was just placed today, depends on what you are looking at. :D

Sang72 said:
Malt_Vinegar said:
Water weighs about 8.5 lbs (3.9 kilo) per gallon but with the substrate and ornaments you need to figure about 10 lbs per gallon.

Malt, That might be me, if the bid was just placed today, depends on what you are looking at. :D
ahramsay( 12)

I think it may be.... :p

Most reactions

Back