30 gallon

*edit*

Misread info on coldwater fish... however...

A large goldfish would be cramped and unhappy in a 30 gallon tank. A 40-50g isn't much more and you could definitely keep a goldfish in there without worrying about tank parameters.

3fsh said:
Fella said:
A single goldfish might be a good choice. Just 1 allowed to grow to it's full potential could make a stunning tank.
[snapback]879853[/snapback]​

Lol... not unless it only grows to 3in... and I don't know of many goldfish which stay that small. Goldfish are extremely messy and need 10g of water per inch of fish.
[snapback]879870[/snapback]​

I don't know who told you that, but that's not the experience I've had with them. Its 10 gallons per fish, and if you take a brief look in the coldwater forums then you will see the stocking descriptions in there also adhere to what I've said.

You could very easily keep a goldfish 6 inches long in a 30 gallon tank.

Mr. Shums said:
what larger fish are friendly and fun to watch? I have one of those tall hex tanks.

BIGGG FISHES
[snapback]876070[/snapback]​

I have found Sliver Dollars to get petty large and are very friendly. They also will schoal. Just be carful not to get a Pacus which tend to look like Sliver Dollars but have teeth, if you get my meaning.....

silver dollars are not appropriate for a hex tank, shari.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=34593
the minimum size tank for a school of silver dollars is 55 gallons, rectangular.

(i guess this is as good an introduction into the forum as any: its generally frowned upon to post without having read the entire topic and to recommend fish without having a strong awareness of that species's needs.)

Fella said:
I don't know who told you that, but that's not the experience I've had with them. Its 10 gallons per fish, and if you take a brief look in the coldwater forums then you will see the stocking descriptions in there also adhere to what I've said.

You could very easily keep a goldfish 6 inches long in a 30 gallon tank.
[snapback]879880[/snapback]​

Yep, but I'd imagine goldfish like a lot more room lengthwise than heightwise. And also a lot of surface area for oxygen. I think maybe a trio of gouramis of some description would look nice.

I keep only african cichlids myself, but at work my boss has an angle in a 55 gallon tank. He/she is massive, I couldnt imagine that fish fitting in a 30gal hex.

how about convicts? you could have a pair in there, with nothing else of coruse

they would look weird in a hex tank though...

why not stick to smaller fish? honey gouramis are cool, tetras are cool

you could have a school of tetras and a few cories, with maybe a female betta or gourami as a centerpice

Most reactions

Back