30 Gallon, Stocking ?

thezodiac

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
so i have an established 30 gallon tank
measures 12 x 19 x 30
had an aquaclear 70 on it (which is for 70 gallon tanks so its over filtered)
heated and gravel bottom.
as well as a good amount of live plants

completely cool with doing a cichlid only species tank

anyways its been cycled for over a year and im looking to change up the entire stocking of this tank.

ive come up with a list of fish i like and would love if someone could help out with a stocking list :nod:

lfs has assorted mixed african cichlids (about 1 inch max currently)
possibly like 9ish of them ? (which is what they recommended, overall they seemed knowledgeable)
that or maybe a few of some large type of cichlid?

firemouth cichlid
jacobfreibergi peacock
bumblebee cichlid
brichardi cichlid

what options do i have ?

thanks in advance!

Have you looked at doing a pair of new world cichlids as a center piece in a community tank? I personally love apistos, rams, and kribs! Just an idea :)

Of the fish you listed, the brichardi is the only one that might work but i dont know much about them. The others get much to big, as do many africans.

Have you looked at doing a pair of new world cichlids as a center piece in a community tank? I personally love apistos, rams, and kribs! Just an idea :)

actually ive had rams and kribs before. i tried to pair kribs but one of them always killed of the other.

i like how apistos look but havent seen many around.

the other thing is im kinda tired of normal community tanks (like a school of tetras, a ram and a krib) is what i'd like to move away from.

although i have a bollivian ram now that i'd love to keep (or pair)

i've always loved the look of african cichlids but you cant mix them because of aggresion

30 gallons limits your stocking powers here. The some fish you chose wouldn't really work. You may be able to do a pair of firemouths (but not a group) or maybe some brichardi (don't know much about them though) but with african cichlids you typically need to stock them in large groups (they don't like to be kept alone) to allow them to create a social hierarchy. Large groups tends to mean around 6 to even as many as 30+. Your tank is too small, african cichlids tend to need at least a 55 gallon 4 foot tank.

On that note, africans will also obliterate your live plants, and only do their best with aragonite sand substrate and lots of rocks to build caves out of. They'll appreciate a much higher pH and harder water/

With your tank, I'd probably just get a single medium sized new world cichlid (6 inches max) and a group of quick moving schooling fish, maybe some bottom dwellers which won't get harassed.

If you're set on african cichlids, you might squeeze by with some shell dwellers and julidochromis, though they're not the monsters you're looking for, these fish top at 3 inches. Even over filtered with the aquaclear 70, the filtration isn't enough, nor is the space, for mbuna. I ended up deciding to use my 75 gallon for mbuna cichlids after much debate, because the choices in even my 55 were limited.

30 gallons limits your stocking powers here. The stocking you chose wouldn't really work. The bumblebee would ed up killing the peacock and brichardi, most likely breaking the jaw of the weak mouths of firemouth cichlids. With african cichlids you typically need to stock them in large groups (they don't like to be kept alone) to allow them to create a social hierarchy. Large groups tends to mean around 6 to even as many as 30+. Your tank is too small, african cichlids tend to need at least a 55 gallon 4 foot tank.

On that note, you really don't want to be mixing african and american cichlids together, as most african cichlids like the pH high at 8.2 and the water to be very hard, whereas central and south american cichlids like the water neutral or acidic, the exact opposite of the african cichlids. Not to mention their very different stocking needs. africans will also obliterate your live plants, and only do their best with aragonite sand substrate and lots of rocks to build caves out of.

With your tank, I'd probably just get a single medium sized new world cichlid (6 inches max) and a group of quick moving schooling fish, maybe some bottom dwellers which won't get harassed.

If you're set on african cichlids, you might squeeze by with some shell dwellers and julidochromis, though they're not the monsters you're looking for, these fish top at 3 inches. Even over filtered with the aquaclear 70, the filtration isn't enough, nor is the space, for mbuna. I ended up deciding to use my 75 gallon for mbuna cichlids after much debate, because the choices in even my 55 were limited.

thanks for your detailed answer.

do you have an recommendations? (like specific breeds) for a medium new world cichlid (6" max)

because i'd be cool with having 1 fish that large and some small bottom dwellers

i really wish jack dempsey didn't get as long, love how they look

do you have an recommendations? (like specific breeds) for a medium new world cichlid (6" max)

because i'd be cool with having 1 fish that large and some small bottom dwellers
the firemouth would be a good choice, they don't tend to uproot or destroy plants, but they're rather unpredictable. Sometimes they're mild tempered, other times they're the biggest monster in the tank (I had a 3 inch one pushing around my 7 inch green terror)

Other fish to look into are convict cichlids, though they're always mean. a close match with a more mild temper would be a honduran red point.

Alternatively you can try for a pair of keyhole cichlids.

All of these fish (except for keyholes) don't tend to be compatible with the meek bolivian rams.

the firemouth would be a good choice, they don't tend to uproot or destroy plants, but they're rather unpredictable. Sometimes they're mild tempered, other times they're the biggest monster in the tank (I had a 3 inch one pushing around my 7 inch green terror)

Other fish to look into are convict cichlids, though they're always mean. a close match with a more mild temper would be a honduran red point.

Alternatively you can try for a pair of keyhole cichlids.

All of these fish (except for keyholes) don't tend to be compatible with the meek bolivian rams.

that works id love to have a firemouth.
any suggestion on what else to stock with it ?
as far as bottom feeders

It would be a little cramped for a firemouth or any fish with a potential to reach 6-7".

Its your tank and you do what you want, but speaking from experience of keeping an Ellioti in a 3ft tank, a 30" tank will be too small.

6x adult length is usually recomended.

A trio of smaller cichlids would be better, Apistogramma, Laetacara or Nannacara would be a better option. You could then stock a group of Corydoras and a shoal of something like Rummynose Tetra's.

My vote would be to go with the firemouth.

I have had a pair in my 60G now for almost two years, really interesting to watch, they dig around in the sand, pick up snails and throw them, and steal the algae wafer from plec when he is munching on it! They are easy going and eat just about anything, they really appreciate live food too. When mine sees me approach he will swim to the top of the tank and just watch me until I feed him.

My male firemouth was a huge bully to start with, would constantly harass and chase other fish (flaring up at them but never really doing any damage) until I "rescued" a convict which soon put him in his place, when the convict was finally removed my firemouth kept his mild manners and is basically a community fish now, never bothering anyone, apart from stealing plecs wafers and harassing snails.

Let us know what you decide!

Most reactions

Back