30 Gallon Before And After

thezodiac

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well im exhausted, spent the past few hours switching my 30 gallon over from sand to gravel.
had trouble keeping it clean, and it was always getting all over my plants and starting to kill them.

before :
20120409130837.jpg

after
20120410211213.jpg

(will remove the breeding net, just keeping my peppered cory in there till i can donate them to a lfs)

current stocking :

tankil.png

aquaclear 70 filter

so basically im trying to decide what i want to do from here, i would kinda like to breed either my guppy or kribensis (i have a female krib in another tank).

or just add some more fish to get to full stocking. (do have a tank i can move guppy to if necessary)

any suggestions?

i dont really have any comments on what you asked about breeding and stocking your fish i have a question of my own if you wouldnt mind.

im just curious why you wanted to switch from sand to gravel because im in the process of trying to switch from gravel to sand

i dont really have any comments on what you asked about breeding and stocking your fish i have a question of my own if you wouldnt mind.

im just curious why you wanted to switch from sand to gravel because im in the process of trying to switch from gravel to sand
no problem,
i had a really hard time keeping it clean, even with frequent water changes, if it gets kicked up it gets in to the filter (which is annoying), my peppered cory and other fish would kick up sand which would then stick to my plants (which would kill them), a bit easier for plants to be held down in gravel as well.

most people will probably tell you to go for sand, i however found it annoying and frustrating.

My sand doesn't get kicked up by my fish :/ maybe you had a very fine grained sand :good:

Can I ask where you got that little stocking thing? I'm interested to see what it says about my tank.

I dont think you're allowed to say the site

I found the site BTW, it's brill! just do a search for aquarium stocking calculator. As with all things, needs to be taken with a grain of salt but the information provided seems pretty accurate to me (whatever that means! :p)

I found the site BTW, it's brill! just do a search for aquarium stocking calculator. As with all things, needs to be taken with a grain of salt but the information provided seems pretty accurate to me (whatever that means! :p)
Lol I know that website but not sure how accurate it is. I had fun putting a ton of virtual hoplos in a 20 gal to see what it says, at some point it said "WARNING! YOU NEED MORE FILTRATION!" but there were a load of virtual hoplos thrown in.

This is what it says about my current stocking (taking the fry into account as adults)
33nvv2r.jpg

Warning: Spotted Port Hoplo is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 17.8 cm.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Swordtail, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Recommended temperature range: 18 - 27 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 182%.
Recommended water change schedule: 41% per week.

looks like it's given you pretty accurate information on your current stocking to me by telling you that your hoplo will outgrow your tank and telling you about M:F for your swordtails. My point was that it seemed helpful as a general guide. As is much discussed on this forum there is no easy answer to stocking solutions and it often needs to be taken on a case by case basis - and now that we have completely hijacked this person's thread lol....really sorry about that!

looks like it's given you pretty accurate information on your current stocking to me by telling you that your hoplo will outgrow your tank and telling you about M:F for your swordtails. My point was that it seemed helpful as a general guide. As is much discussed on this forum there is no easy answer to stocking solutions and it often needs to be taken on a case by case basis - and now that we have completely hijacked this person's thread lol....really sorry about that!
Sorry for the hijack! o_O but a lot of threads around here get hijacked pretty fast.

Yeah hoplo might outgrow it, but not sure if it will. He's at 13cm now and if he lives one more year, he'll reach Cory lifespan. Although someone told me that they can get 27 years old, not sure about that one, as all websites say between 4 and 8 years usual lifespan.
And yeah the M:F ratio guide's very useful, though I wonder if all-female would be better or it would cause livebearers problems.

btw where did you buy the betta in your signature?

Finz n tailz aquatics they have a web page but you're better off finding them on facebook ;)

I was told by some members that that site (the calculator) is inaccurate and can't be trusted but I've done a variety of searches and combinations and it gives me pretty reasonable results. I'm amazed it asks for tank dimensions, exact filter type, fish size choice, quite accurate in my choice. I think it's quite accurate but it tells me that I can add 1 Betta with 14 Pygmy Cories in a 10 gallon so I guess you have to be careful. Sorry if this is a little off topic but how many Pygmy Cories can you put with a Betta in a 10g (About 40L).

Yeah i thought it was quite cool and a tool for doing a little brainstorming, could be very dangerous for someone who had no clue!
With regards to the pygmies im sure ive been advised that 8 is an ok number but you may want to check that in a new topic first
good.gif

Most reactions

Back