2Nd Lot Of New Babies

Hi
I have 8 that are now 7 weeks old i will wait another week and then put them into the community tank with the other freeing up the other tank for the new fry... I don't want to put the older ones in the community tank not because they will get eaten because they are a fair size now but because i just want them a little older before i do so, I really don't want them being chased around by the others.

I have now found a Aquatics shop that will exchange my fry when they are around 12 weeks old, so at least i will have somewhere to take them when they are big enough. I am awaiting a large clump of Java moss that should arrive today which will go into the community tank, If there's more fry in the future they will have somewhere to hide.

I didn't realize when i bought my mollies that the females have a sperm pocket and will regardless of males being there, have fry every 6 weeks or so, although with males being present the numbers will be much larger.

Your female mollies will only drop fry for about 6 months without any male present. Meanwhile it is good that you have a place to take the resulting fry. Don't let the LFS kid you. There is nothing better than locally sourced fish if they can be had at a decent price. In a more typical situation, the fish arriving at a LFS will lose maybe 10% before they can be sold because of all the time involved in shipping them and the stresses of the shipping itself. Once you add in the cost of air freight and the various customs processes, a 50 cent fish from Malaya ends up costing your LFS a couple of dollars. By the time they mark them up to $2.50 or a bit more, they can barely make a profit. They still need to pay the power/heating and water bills. The water bill for your LFS can be quite large.

Your female mollies will only drop fry for about 6 months without any male present. Meanwhile it is good that you have a place to take the resulting fry. Don't let the LFS kid you. There is nothing better than locally sourced fish if they can be had at a decent price. In a more typical situation, the fish arriving at a LFS will lose maybe 10% before they can be sold because of all the time involved in shipping them and the stresses of the shipping itself. Once you add in the cost of air freight and the various customs processes, a 50 cent fish from Malaya ends up costing your LFS a couple of dollars. By the time they mark them up to $2.50 or a bit more, they can barely make a profit. They still need to pay the power/heating and water bills. The water bill for your LFS can be quite large.

Right i see, No he didn't tell me that without a male present the females will only drop for around 6 months!! I was made to believe that the female's drop regardless! I have a lot to learn. So if i don't want to continue having fry i need to re-home my males.
I must admit though i have enjoyed watching the fry grow and it's exciting to know that so many have survived on the second drop... I've got some thinking to do i think

Thank you

Most reactions

Back