29g First Sw Tank

bumper55

Reaction score
First time on this forum... so excited to have a person other than a store clerk who knows very little give me advice! After quite a few years of freshwater, I decided that it was time for an upgrade. I've done a fair share of research, and have gotten a few mixed reviews on what will work. Please do not hold back to correct me if anything seems like it wouldn't work! The tank is still cycling, Ammonia just spiked. I've been seeding it with fish food for a few days now. Here's the set up.

29 Gallon Tall tank
3-5 inches of live sand
about 20 pounds of live rock (more? very few stores have live rock in my area, and I'm a little hesitant to order online)
Livestock:
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Pearly Jawfish
1 Chalk Basslet
1 Pistol Shrimp/Goby Pair(I have a pair on hold, not sure of species at the moment...)

So, any comments? I'm worried about the Jawfish and the Shrimp/Goby fighting, but I've gotten some mixed reviews. Also, what order would they go in? Clowns, Chalk Bass, and from what I've heard, Jawfish are fairly territorial, but I've also heard that the Goby/Shrimp can be territorial too.

The general rule is the most agressive and/or territorial fish goes in last.
Clowns can be pretty aggressive, that's my guess for last; but I'm more of a coral reason than a fish person.
Sounds like you have a nice, pretty stock list.

You might want to skip either the goby pistol or the jawfish. They are both burrow building fish, and i have herd of goby pistol paris aking jawfish burrows and vice-versa. Why not take a look at the Starry Blenny? I have one in my 36 and he is so cool. Very personable and changes colors. :)

Cfc

You might want to skip either the goby pistol or the jawfish. They are both burrow building fish, and i have herd of goby pistol paris aking jawfish burrows and vice-versa. Why not take a look at the Starry Blenny? I have one in my 36 and he is so cool. Very personable and changes colors.
smile.png

Cfc

I've tried to make prominent boundaries, with a separate cave/area for the goby and shrimp, and another area for the jawfish. I've read that Blennies feed on algae and other bacteria, and I don't think I'd have enough to keep one happy. What about a Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish? The shrimp would have the protection of its burrow and the goby, and I think it would be big enough.

Okay that should help a bit. Make sure to put the Jawfish in before the goby pistol, and allow it to make is burrow. That way is harder for the new pair to mess with it.

Blennies do graze on algae. I wouldn't put the blenny in first, probably after the jawfish. You can supplement them with dried seaweed on a clip, i do so for my Starry.

If you are fine with not having any shrimp, the Geometric Hawkfish will be cool. They will eat shrimp, so beware if you want any. It would not bother a pistol shrimp though.

Little known fact, Geometric Pygmy Hawkfish are actually not hawkfish, but Anthias.

I don't think I'll risk the Jawfish. Better to play it safe! My LFS has Starry Blenny and Chalk Basslet in stock, but I'm still unsure about the Blenny. The Goby is a Steinitz Goby and the pistol is an Orange Striped Pistol Shrimp, so not a Tiger Pistol, which is good. Also, I have a cycling question. My tank just finished cycling today. It has 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites, and 20 ppm of Nitrate. I added in 90 gallons worth of Bacteria Supplement(reliable, I use it with all tanks) but that doesn't really speed it up much. I also have filter media from a different tank, and plenty of live rock and live sand. How long should I wait until I add in fish? The store clerk said 2 weeks, but I want to run it through here before finalizing anything.

Also, I found a REALLY pretty Coral Banded Shrimp(as pretty as they get), I'm guessing it wouldn't work, but maybe it could(perhaps?)
thumbs-up.gif

Id still get the blenny, i waited 3 months for my lfs to get one.

I would add a couple hermits and snails and see how they go. If all is well add your first fish.

I have a coral banded shrimp, he is very cool. If you plan on any small fish, these are no good.

Id still get the blenny, i waited 3 months for my lfs to get one.

I would add a couple hermits and snails and see how they go. If all is well add your first fish.

I have a coral banded shrimp, he is very cool. If you plan on any small fish, these are no good.

So what would the order be?

Snails, Hermits first

I heard inverts need an established tank, but the Basslet and Clown are aggressive. How does this sound?

1. Hermits/Snails
2. Starry Blenny(anything I can do to grow lots of algae? I'll get the dried seaweed)
3. Goby/Shrimp
4. Chalk Basslet
5. Ocellaris Clown
Then wait for everyone to get bigger and maybe add some cleaner shirmp if I don't get the Coral Banded?

Thanks for the help too
thanks.gif

1. Hermits snails
2. Blenny
3. Clown
4. Goby Pistol
5. Chalk bass

Ocellaris clowns arent aggressive unless kept in pairs. But the chalk bass is the most aggressive of the bunch.
There really isnt anything you can do for algae, but you will be surprised how fast it grows. :)

Cfc

1. Hermits snails
2. Blenny
3. Clown
4. Goby Pistol
5. Chalk bass

Ocellaris clowns arent aggressive unless kept in pairs. But the chalk bass is the most aggressive of the bunch.
There really isnt anything you can do for algae, but you will be surprised how fast it grows. :)

Cfc

I just got the snails and hermits today. 7 Turbo Snails and 7 Blue and Red legged Hermits. They all seem fine, and are contently munching on algae. How long should I wait for the Starry Blenny? And how often should I feed it the Seaweed?

Wait at least a week, just to make sure. Test your water every couple days, just to make sure.

The blenny should accept flake food, i use Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. Put in the seaweed 2 a week, but be sure to put it out of reach from hungry hermits

Cfc

Wait at least a week, just to make sure. Test your water every couple days, just to make sure.

The blenny should accept flake food, i use Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes. Put in the seaweed 2 a week, but be sure to put it out of reach from hungry hermits

Cfc

Ok. I have some different fish food I might use for some of the species, but it contains a very small amount of copper sulfate(lowest concentration). Will this be OK for the shrimp, snails, and hermits? The Blenny at my LFS is like 3-4 inches, is that too big? Should I wait for a smaller one to be in stock?

Usually copper in incredibly small amounts isn't a problem, but I just checked all of the foods I use for my sw tanks and none of them have that (although one has a form of chellated copper at the end of the list). Can you give a link to the particular food in question?

Usually copper in incredibly small amounts isn't a problem, but I just checked all of the foods I use for my sw tanks and none of them have that (although one has a form of chellated copper at the end of the list). Can you give a link to the particular food in question?

http://www.petco.com/product/105347/Aqueon-Bottom-Feeder-Tablets.aspx This

http://www.petco.com/product/113756/Aqueon-Pellet-Cichlid-Food.aspx And this

I also have freeze dried brine shrimp, krill, and blood worms. I recently bought Dried Seaweed. Will this cover the stocking list?

Most reactions

Back