29 Gallon Setup Questions

KatFishies

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a 29 gallon tank on craigslist but it is just the tank. I was wondering what any of you recommend as a cover for the tank? I don't need a hood just yet because I will borrow the one from my 20 gallon for a bit but didn't know the best place to purchase a cover that protects the light in the hood from the water. I found this glass one at Petsmart. I will add the link. Does anyone have experience with these with their 29 gallon?

http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=fish%2Fhoods-glass-canopies%2Faqueon-hinged-aquarium-glass-top-zid36-16534%2Fcat-36-catid-300074%3Fvar_id%3D36-16534

I haven't used these with a 29 gallon, but I've got them on all my tanks. I have to replace one of them though because it cracked during a move. I like them though. I like that you can fold them all the way over. They aren't a bad price either.

Ive used petsmarts glass lids for my 55 gallon tank, and my 10 gallon, tbh they were both very annoying. They usually interfere with whatever light i put on and i have to move the light and everything but other than that its been ok, my 10 gallon lid doesnt really fit like it supposed to either but maybe its just my luck lol

Are they wide enough to completely cover the tank? I remember having one years ago but can't remember if it completely covered.

It should cover it completely, make sure you get the length of the tank your buying and then look for a hood with the same length, the back most likely will have a plastic piece you can cut to your liking.

The 20 gallon lid wont fit if the tank is longer or wider. Maybe if its a tall tank.  I have never had one of those lids, I almost got one for my ten gallon hospital. 

If you don't have jumpers or a cat, why do you use lids?? During these hot days in the UK, I have my tanks totally open apart from the light fixtures.....

Aren't most hoods waterproof these days? Both my Juwel tanks get plenty of spray onto the bulbs and fittings and are just fine, though they are marketed as waterproof!

Most reactions

Back