29 Gallon Planted Tropical Tank

gunnerx

Reaction score
I started this tank 2 months ago as my very first Aquarium. This is how it looked 2 months ago.
P3256886.jpg

Here's how the tank looks now.
fulltank20080519.jpg

My tiny bunch of Roseafolia is now 4 large bunches at the back of the tank. The Anubias has gotten quite large and my Bacopas have gotten quite tall. I'm using Seachem Flourish and Excel and other Seachem ferts.

The $1 Blue Gouramis I bought from Big Al's has gotten much larger. The males are now quite distinct and easy to point out. It turns out I have 2 of them and their colour has really turned quite impressive. These guys have quite a sentimental value to me as they were my very first Aquatic pet. :)

P5198824.jpg

P5198833.jpg

With the Cherry Barbs in the background.
P5198860.jpg

Also a Big Al's special, I picked up 9 puny Cherry Barbs for $1 each. They were so tiny the salesperson told my wife that they were not feeders for the Gouramis!! They were very lightly coloured then, but now, they're definitely Cherry Barbs!

P5198835.jpg

Then there was this very tiny starved Otocinclus I bought at Big Al's for $2.99 . I picked up another one at Wal Mart as they had it there for $1.69. The one from Wal Mart was twice the size and much better fed than the Big Al's one. However, I can't tell which one is which now.

P5198874.jpg

P5198886.jpg

The BN Plecos I got from a breeder.
P5138711.jpg

P5198899.jpg

This snail somehow managed to get into the tank without me knowing. It was as small as a pebble when I first saw it!
P5198869.jpg

And my latest addition to this tank. Red Cherry Shrimps!
P5198891.jpg

I found the hiding spot!
P5198918.jpg

I'm quite fond of this tank and enjoy watching whenever I can. I like how the gouramis would start chasing each other then suddenly the all swim to the surface really fast and get some air then swim back down. I also enjoy trying to find the shrimps. :D The other day I put some algae wafers in and the Gouramis were taking bites out of it while the Plecos were on it. :D

Really nice tank!! I plan on converting my 29 gallon into a planted tank as well. What are the tank specs?

Here are the tank specs:

Substrate: Seachem Fluorite Red (30lbs)

Lighting: 2 x Coralife Freshwater Dual T5 (6700K + 10000K)

Ferts: Flourish Excel, Flourish, Flourish Iron, Phosphorous, Nitrogen and Potassium

They camera used is an Olympus E3 DSLR with 12-60mm lens.

Wow :hyper: Was that really two month's growth? Love the lush look of your tank and the cute otos :D

beautiful tank and fish and your photos of your fish are brilliant! any tips ?? ( for folk like me who need to take 1000 pics of fish before getting one nearly good one!!!)

Thanks! :D The tank is definitely quite clear. I originally had an Aquaclear 50 filtering the tank thinking that would be enough but I ended up getting a Fluval 405 in addition. :D The plants and the army of 4 BN Plecos, 2 Otos and RCS also help keep it clean.

As for taking pictures, I think the main tip I can give is being patient. :) I just wait for the right moment and take the pictures. There's a lot of missed opportunities but there's also a lot of great ones that are made. My wife calls me crazy because I'm crouched with my camera in front of the aquarium for an hour taking pictures. :D

wow!!
that is absolutley fab! looks like a miricle has occured in there with the plant growth,it looks sooo natural, it really really beautiful,
i have to say the photos are terrific too, real talent going on in your house,well done

shelagh xxx

Wow this is a great looking tank. Whats the big leafy plant on the right hand side ?

bloody hell! :hyper:

thats one of the nicest tanks i have seen. :good:

Most reactions

Back