240 Gallon Tank

Great Lakes said:
Angel,

You want to add about 100 snails, and 100 hermit crabs to your list also.

I can't add much, Navarre has already wrote practically a book for you... :D

GL
I know, Narrave is too nice :blush:

You positive about the 100 snails and hermit crabs? :blink:

Yeah LG is right. A tank of this size will need an enormous cleanup crew :/

Sounds like alot. People that gets told of the number of snails/crabs they need to clenup feel that the number is far too high."But i wont see any rocks or fish" they say, "All i will see is snails and hemits all over the glass and rockwork". Believe me, this isnt true as they will get lost within the rockwork and cave etc, only to appear sporadically.

Turbo snails, astrea Snails are good workhorses for munching algea on glass and rocks. Get a good number of these. Hermit crabs are good alround scavengers, make sure you have lots of different sized shells for them to swap homes or they will fight among themselves or even "hunt" the snails for them.

Cerith snails are great for keeping the sand clean as they burrow under it etc. They will also come out after lightsout and clean rocks and glass. (there are usually a good amount of cerith snails for sale on ebay.. just choose a repuatable member)

Other cleanup crew worth considering....

Algea blenny (I think in the USA they call this the Lawnmower Blenny?).
A real workhorse and with loads of character. I have one in my large tank and its a real pig! a real fat belly, so bloated that im mazaed it can even swim at times! :D Yet it has never yet taken any food i place in the tank. It just gorges itself on the rocks and glass! Fantastic fish. Perhaps add this after a few weeks wen you start to get your first batch of algea growth (which everyone gets)

Sandsifter startfish
Fantastic for keeping sand clean but this is not recomended for a new setup. I usually add mine after 6 months of maturing. They are predators so they need life within the sand to make them thrive. This constant burrowing will keep the sand nice and clean but its not advisable for a deepsand bed as these thigs can seriously do damage to the eco system in a DSB

Urchins
I have one in my tank. Great for eating Coraline algea that grows on the rocks. (I like to keep the coraline under control so the liverock can breath easier)
I have never yet seen the urchin during the daytime but each night he comes out of his cave and when the lights go on in the morning you can see exactly where he has been ;)
Word fo warning though, these things are incredibly strong and you need to make sure your rockwork is very secure (i dont use any bondings with my liverock but its firmly in place)
Again, not something i would add immediately. Alow about 6 months growth first

People recomend Snails and hermits first as they are probably the easiest to care for early on. Get as much as you can to begin with, if you cannot afford such a large amount thats ok, just get what you can. A good rule to follow when considering hermits or snails is this...

Each time you visit your local shop and make a purchase, be it a fish, food or anything, just add 1 snail or hermit to the list, this way its not so expensive and will slowly help to increase the population a little at a time. It also will help to reaplce the inevitable deaths and losses that will ocur that you might not know about as they usually happen behind the liverock out of sight. This way helps to keep the numbers up and running at an efficient level.

Try and get some variety in your cleanup crew also if possible (without causing community conflicts) Each cleanup will usually favour 1 sort of algea etc over another. if you have a large enough population with large enough diversity then your algea troubles will be under control.

(This is the problem i am having with my larger tank at the moment. Not enough diversity as i am still adding to the cleanup crew)

Sorry I didn't know that I needed that many snails and hermit crabs :unsure:
If I could I would like to add some of the cleaning crew that you typed down Navarre, or more likely all that you typed down.

Turbo Snails
Hermit Crabs
Cerith snails
Algea blenny
Sandsifter startfish
Urchin

How many of each can I add? With the snails, won't some of the fish try to eat them?

I'm going to go with that rule of yours Navarre (with the buying of the snails) because I don't think I can buy them all at once and it's a real good rule anyway :)

Snails are usually quite safe. Triggers and wrasses are usually their main enemy in the ref tank.
The thing you must watch for its snails falling off the rocks and glass and onto the sand. The rule that if you drop some toast its always the buttered side that lands face down is usually true with snails too :-( They usualy land in such a way that they cannot right themselvs backup. If this happens (and it will) then they are vulnerable to many more predators. Cleaner shrimps will attack their softer parts and if not rescued quickly then a snail can meet its end here. The simple thing is to just turn em ovre when you see this happen.

Small 6 line wrasee arent usually aproblem, its the slightly larger ones you need to watch for.

Turbo Snails
Hermit Crabs
Cerith snails
Algea blenny
Sandsifter startfish
Urchin

Turbos and and snail for that matter is just about covered. Never enough IMO just keep adding em each time you visit the shops.

Algea blenny. Add when the tank is a few months old. It wont touch cyano bacteria (not nomrally) so before this stage sets in it will be hard for it to find food. However once you get the green aglea apearing then its time to get one. Only 1 though, they will fight, even in a tank your size.

Sand sifter.. again after 6 months of decent maturing. You will need alot of pod life and worms ect to sustain these vorasious predators.
I have 1 in my 100 gallon but to be honest its not enough. I really need another although i am waiting for the system to mature a bit more. I could probably get away with it to be honest as the sump is teaming with pods etc. But i still feel its better to wait a bit longer (this is why some of my photos shows dirty sand :/ )

Urchins. I love em! Um.. even if i never see it :whistle:
They are fascinating to watch but be careful which you choose. Not all urchins are as hard working or even eat the right foods.

Thanks Navarre :)

So these are the fish, coral and invertabrates I'm going to add.

#2 Common Clownfish Amphiprion ocellaris
#1 Coral Beauty Centropyge bispinosus
#1 Bicolour Cherub Centropyge bicolor
#6 Wreckfish Anthias squamipinnis
#5 Spotted Cardinalfish Sphaeramia nematoptera
#2 Firefish Nemateleotris magnifica
#6 Green Chromis
#1 Royal Gramma Gramma loreto
#1 Emperor Tang Acanthurus chrysurus
#2 Purple Firefish Nemateleotris decora

#2 Tubeworm Sabellastarte spp.
#1 Merlet's Pineapple Coral Blastomussa merleti
#1 Wells's Pineapple Coral Blastomussa wellsi
#1 Elegance Coral Catalaphyllia jardinei
#1 Finger Leather Coral Cladiella sp.
#1 Branching Hammer Coral Euphyllia parancora
#1 Caulerpa prolifera
#1 Leather Mushroom

#100 Snails (Turbo and Cerith)
#100 Hermit Crabs
#1 Algea blenny
#4 Sandsifter startfish
#1 Urchin
#8 Cleaner Shrimp Lysmata amboinensis
#1 Orange Starfish Fromia monilis

Thanks for all your help Navarre and Great Lakes! It was really nice of you to go into all that trouble with your posts :blush:

Ma'am it was a pleasure! :D

Just one last word of advice.. dont add all this at once will you :-(
;) :D

and just to think i was gobsmaked when someone told me they were getting a 65 gal (uk) 4x bigger than my 15gal (uk)

I would love to have 240 gallons in my living room.. The truth is that i have had real problems with my 130 gallon setup. I have got photos of the floor beforeit was strengthened enoughto take the weight. Adding another 100 gallons would be a dream but i would need to strengthen even more of the floor. :crazy:

Don't worry I won't add them all at once Navarre :)
I'm pretty sure my floor is strengthened enough, all concrete under the tiles. My 240 Gallon is in a spare room (with all my other tanks exept my 10 Gallon and 15 Gallon) just for my aquariums and fish things.

That would be right if it was a older tank but since it will be new when you go to the store just get like 2-4 of both and every time you go to the store get some but dont add them all at once they will die very very fast cause they wont have enough to eat. Also not to discourage you but be prepared to spend 10,000-25,000 within the year.

What about adding a blue tang instead of a purple one? I've always wanted one but my tank's to small :-( .
Navarre,
Thanks so much for all the wonderful info :cool:

Trying to have any Tang in a tank under 6ft is hard. They do get quite large.

And I wonder how Dark Angel is coming along?

Most reactions

Back