22L New Second Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

petey6505

Reaction score
I have just bought my son's a 22 litre nano tank, I have used started it with media from my established 240 litre tank and 80% of the water is also from the established tank. It has been empty for 2days now and I am hoping to start stocking it Sunday which would be day 6. The test results are all ok, it is the same as the main tank. 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia ph 6.5 temp 26degrees

we are looking at putting in it

1 x Betta
2 Algae eaters
1 pleco to start with, then I will transfer that in to larger tank in time as it grows
5-10 Harlequin Rasboras

How does this stock level sound?

Thanks in advance

Peter

You need to feed the bacteria to keep them alive, they will die off without some sort of ammonia - I'd suggest taking some fish from your established tank, just to keep the bacteria fed. Otherwise, you will see a significant die-off over the 6 days. Take the "tank-sitters" back out on the day you go to get the fish.

That stock list, IMO, is way too much for a 22l. The Fighter (Betta) would be absolutely fine on his own (they are solitary fish naturally), but if you insist upon some tank mates, then I'd go for 3-4 endlers. Pretty much anything else that's small enough is a shoaling species, that would need to be in a group of 6+, ruling them out.

The only other potential tank mates might be a pair of Scarlet Badis - but the fighter might take a dislike to them, as their pectoral fins look a bit similar to the fighter's, he might get confused. Depends on the temperament of the individual fighter you get.

You could also get some larger shrimp (Amano or Bamboo), the fighter might see the smaller ones (eg cherries or crystals) as lunch.

I think the algae eaters may get a bit big, i would try a otto's or two instead, I would go with the suggestion of endlers too. but harliquins are good little fast fish to escape the betta nipping, but the space is limited for them to shoal/swim because they are pretty active.

Also a tip is to add the endlers and ottos 1st (or harliquins if you so wish) atleast a few days to a week befor adding the male betta. This stops him thinking the whole tank his his, and nailing any newcomers. I have a male betta with some fancy guppys and he is fine with them. He is a bit of a puff though, tried to breed him, and well after spawinging he got pretty badly beaten by the female who is 1/3rd his size.

Hope this helps.

I disagree with the otos, they are a social fish so having just 1 or 2 is unsuitable.

thanks for replying :D
I think were going to for a betta and endlers just need to find a LFS that stocks the endlers ha ha maybe a bamboo shrimp too.
the tank is for my sons and I think all hell would break loose if I only put the betta in (even though me and my girlfriend would prefer it)

Why don't you turn it into a Betta and shrimp tank, forgetting the Endlers altogether? It'd be easier on the fish in my opinion.

Or, plant the 22l tank and make it a shrimp only tank. They can be pretty fun to run :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back