2024 MLB season

Oh well, Cleveland lost to Oakland by one so I guess they aren't going to undefeated for the season. :) Still I can't complain about going three out of four in a series on the road even though Oakland is not a good team. Now we shall see what happens in Seattle over the next three games. over the next

Muncy came up with a huge blast to right to take the lead bottom of the 8th. St Louis pitched a great game until they pulled the starter. That guy was painting the corners and had Ohtani all sorts of mad. Umps strike zone was suspect though, no consistency at all

After trumpeting their great change in team culture and their new attention to detail and smart baseball, the Toronto Jays played as stupidly as they did last year, with spectacular brain jams and poor decisions over a split 4 game series. Both teams, Toronto and Tampa, looked like they were weaker compared to last season. The AL east is still a battle, but I think there is some separation developing. Baltimore is excellent looking, then it begins to fall off. The evil Yankees are injury riddled, Tampa as well, and Toronto and Boston don't look that good this year.

You have to wonder if the supply of disposable human elbows is drying up, and if guys are going to have to learn to pitch again. The injury rates among successful pitchers are really high. You can only spin it so much, and only throw so hard.

After trumpeting their great change in team culture and their new attention to detail and smart baseball, the Toronto Jays played as stupidly as they did last year, with spectacular brain jams and poor decisions over a split 4 game series. Both teams, Toronto and Tampa, looked like they were weaker compared to last season. The AL east is still a battle, but I think there is some separation developing. Baltimore is excellent looking, then it begins to fall off. The evil Yankees are injury riddled, Tampa as well, and Toronto and Boston don't look that good this year.

You have to wonder if the supply of disposable human elbows is drying up, and if guys are going to have to learn to pitch again. The injury rates among successful pitchers are really high. You can only spin it so much, and only throw so hard.

I was hoping the rays were gonna dump Arozarena in the Glasnow deal, they were talking about it. He's a stud and plays better when the lights are the brightest. My guess is this is his last year as a Ray.

And pitching injuries...pffttt...story of the Dodgers is exactly that and bad management in the playoffs

And pitching injuries...pffttt...story of the Dodgers is exactly that and bad management in the playoffs
As they say... Injuries are part of the game and hit Cleveland hard last year especially with pitching. Shoot, for a good portion they had 4 rookies as starting pitchers and tow of them are now looked at as regular starters. As I said, injuries happen but that is not the major thing that matters.

Last year Cleveland missed the playoffs but were still in contention due to management. To a VERY major part it is about management and not just in the big show. I truly believe that Cleveland has the, if not the best, close to it, origination in MLB. I don't mean the best just in MLB, the show, but throughout all the way down to single A ball. Last year 4 rookies as starting pitchers yet they still held their own. This says a lot about the organization all through the majors to the lowest farm club.

Shoot, few years ago Cleveland lost Frankie Lindor, arguably the best second base in the league, and bring in a rookie to replace. In his rookie he makes the All Star Team.

Then you have Cleveland's left fielder, Steven Kwan. This is his third season and he already has 2 gold gloves even getting a gold glove as a rookie. And now we now have a player at second base that has a platinum glove which is an award for the best overall defensive player.

What I'm trying to say is that management and coaching is the difference between a decent team and a winner.

Toronto got no hit last night, and only gave up 10 runs. I missed watching it, but it would have been fun. I like the tension of a well pitched game. It's so hard for a pitcher to hold through that for nine innings.

It's a dull, listless, badly constructed team. The only hope they have is a new management team, but the President of the team is doing a good job on stadium renovations, so he can't go. The GM's work has been terrible - no farm system, bad trades, poor choices all around. So if they lose spectacularly at the start of the season there is a chance of new management, at least at the GM level. And that could bring results in a year or two.
More likely, they'll hover around .500 and not make changes.
It'll be a long time before they have a good farm system though. It takes an organization time to recover from trading Gabriel Moreno and Lourdes Gurriel Jr for a platoon outfielder who hits .220 and pops out or strikes out whenever guys are on base (to be fair, he does the same when the bases are empty). I really should spring for an MLB package to watch a good team, but I spend all my money on fish!

I am very happy the Dodgers are 5-2. The big three is really big so far ..... BUT

I just can not get excited about this team. The Dodger farm system has always been their bread and butter and it was always exciting to see prospects work their to the big show. Now it feels like I am rooting for the old Steinbrenner Yankees where a check book substituted for a well run organization, and I have always been a Yankee hater.

I guess this is the way pf pro sports today though. Maybe, I hope, the feeling will pass and I can get excited about the team again.

The Dodgers have undeniable talent. But they do seem like the Greatest Hits album of a good cover band. They're bought, but there's something missing in the process with those teams.
They do have a Yankees feel to them, I hate to say. So did the Padres though, and look how well that worked out.
I've always liked how teams build, and the Dodgers and Cardinals were always fun to track. Pulling out a chequebook and pointing at the sunshine (and the proximity to Japan) just isn't intriguing.

Just hoping that the last 2 Cleveland games isn't on indication of a problem they had last year with losing too many 1 run games lost. Last 2 games have been 1 run loses.

For all the fans no matter what your team. Its a long season and there should be music in the middle of the 7th....

Ya, I'm back with more griping... Yeppers, I happy that Cleveland is now 7-2 but griping in that pitching woes continue as their ACE starter Shane Bieber is now out for the season... :(

Ya, I'm back with more griping... Yeppers, I happy that Cleveland is now 7-2 but griping in that pitching woes continue as their ACE starter Shane Bieber is now out for the season... :(

Injuries suck. Gutted for you guys. Time for the younger guys to step up and earn their opportunity

Injuries suck. Gutted for you guys. Time for the younger guys to step up and earn their opportunity
The 'younger guys' have stepped in more than anyone could even hope for...

Lose Frankie Lindor and have a rookie step in at 2nd base and he is an all-star his rookie season.

Need an outfielder and Kwan steps in winning a gold glove his rookie season.

Then, due to major injuries last year to the pitching staff and in step Bibee who was the runner up for rookie of the year.

It is stuff like the above that makes me believe that Cleveland has the best origination in the MLB as to coaching. The above does not happen by accident...

The 'younger guys' have stepped in more than anyone could even hope for...

Lose Frankie Lindor and have a rookie step in at 2nd base and he is an all-star his rookie season.

Need an outfielder and Kwan steps in winning a gold glove his rookie season.

Then, due to major injuries last year to the pitching staff and in step Bibee who was the runner up for rookie of the year.

It is stuff like the above that makes me believe that Cleveland has the best origination in the MLB as to coaching. The above does not happen by accident...

I agree 100%. They've done a great job filling the gaps. I just meant it gives another young player an opportunity to take advantage of and get some work he otherwise woukdnt have. That's speeds up the development process when you have to face the best and figure out how to beat them.

Most reactions

Back