2014 World Cup

Re the Spain v Holland game - it seems to me that Spain have made an error in relying on their past masters Xavi and Iniesta. Barcelona have had a very disappointing season, whereas Del Bosque has only picked one player from Atletico, who have had a quite magnificent season. Holland, on the other hand, have a nice youthful team that want to prove themselves, and I was very impressed with both Bland and Vlaar.

The difference between the two teams was summed up by two sets of goalmouth action.

When Robben had nicked the ball off Casillas, he then had Pique closing him down. He basically toepoked the ball towards goal before Pique could make the challenge. He scored.

Right at the end, Torres had the chance to restore a little dignity. He had an open goal, and a simple left-foot sidefoot tap would have done the job. But no, he had to cut back onto his right foot, allowing Vlaar the chance to come across and nick it off him.

I think Spain have enough about them, still, to beat Chile and certainly Australia, but I think that last night's defeat will see them as group runners-up, and therefore are more-than-likely to face Brazil in the 2nd round. I cannot see them beating the hosts.

Re England. When the groups were drawn, I genuinely thought England would struggle to come 4th in the group. I think Hodgson has been brave to leave Ashley Cole out, and it would appear that Lampard is only there to be subbed on 2 minutes before a penalty shoot-out, or if Gerrard gets injured. Hodgson is blooding the younger players (Lallana, Barkley, Sterling, O-C, et al) who are playing without fear. I think 4 years ago, the established players were too fearful of making an error, perhaps too fearful of what the tabloid press would say if they made an error. These younger players aren't encumbered by that fear.

My one fear is Glen Johnson, and I am usually loyal to any player to have played for Portsmouth, but Johnson is a liability. He showed against Peru that he doesn't have the bottle to play his attacking game any more (he only made 3 forward passes in the Peru game, I counted them, one was off his chest, and another was intercepted), and in both the Peru and Honduras games, he showed he has a worrying ability to give the ball away cheaply. You can be sure that this has been noted by Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica and it is where our games will be won or lost. To be honest, I can't predict which way it will go.

I cannot see us progressing past the quarter finals, in any way. If we come second in the group, we will face the winners of Group C, and if we win that then the chances are it's Brazil in the quarters. If by some freak of chance, we win the group, we play 2nd place in Group C, and assuming we win that, the chances are we get Holland in the quarters. I genuinely don't see any way we can beat either of those 2 teams.

I don't think England will even make it out of the group stage - Uruguay and Italy are just too strong for us. Although we have some talented players like Sterling, they can't really compare to the likes of Suarez and Balotelli. We're no good at holding football, that's so popular on the continent, and with heat I don't think our players will be able play the physical game we're used to seeing in the premiership. Italy will beat us, Uruguay will thrash us, but hopefully we won't be too dejected by the time we get to Costa Rica.

Wow, Costa Rica. That makes things interesting. 15 mins to ko, come on!

508 said:
I'm going to say 2-1 to Italy. But so far the world cup has been surprising, so we shall see.

I was right :(

At least it was a positive performance in most parts, much more enjoyable than usual. It's been a funny world cup so you never know.

Make-or-break time against Uruguay. Must win, draw is not good enough, IMO.

Well, Brazil cold only draw last night - and clearly it was because they didn't have their most influential player from the previous game available.

Refereeinho

the_lock_man said:
Well, Brazil cold only draw last night - and clearly it was because they didn't have their most influential to player from the previous game available.

Refereeinho
Haha, I did think when Marcelo went down they were gonna get another soft penalty.

So we're only a day away from England's second game, predictions?

I'm thinking England will take the lead and then fold under the pressure. Centre backs lack pace and Hodgson won't drop Rooney. Managers seem to like 5 in midfield in "big games" but definitely need two up top to create more space for oncoming midfielder or wingers. Just my opinion. I'll say 2-1 Uruguay, although I'm hoping England win.

I think Roy has to play Rooney in the middle of the 3 attacking midfielders. Round holes and square pegs, etc.Swap Rooney and Sterling around, or maybe if the Ox is fit, play him on the left and drop Sterling to the bench.

However, of course, you have to factor in the fact that Uruguay's squad have had their "Dulce de Leche" confiscated, and that's why they lost to Costa Rica.

What am I saying? No it's nothing to do with that whatsoever. Suarez will start for Uruguay, 1-1 draw.

I personally wouldn't drop Stirling, he was by far mom against Italy, either Rooney or Welbeck benched for me. I would rather see a diamond in midfield with Stirling at the top Gerrard at base and Henderson and Wilshire either side. Then you could play Rooney or Lambert with Sturridge up top and easily shift to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in different phases. But can't see Roy only playing one holding mid but hey I'm not being paid 3.5 million a year to decide.

Most reactions

Back