20 Gallon Stocking Ideas

hannahbatts

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum :) I have a 20-gallon planted tank currently holding 5 guppies, 4 honey gourami, and 3 mystery snails. I am looking for a slightly larger fish to add to the tank. My LFS sells small blood parrot fish that supposedly only get up to about 5-6 inches max. Would one blood parrot be ok in my tank? If not, what's my next best option? (I have the TopFin 20-gallon starter kit).

Otherwise, I am considering adding schooling fish (probably tetras) and some corys.

1590449634961.jpeg

** Note: There is some algae on the front of the tank, but the green color on the gravel is from food that I have stopped using for this reason.

I think a blood parrot would potentially overstock your tank. I can’t tell what your substrate is but maybe a bottom dweller like some loaches would be cool since you have middle and top action. As for tetras schools, I love embers and they are very peaceful and won’t bother your Gouramis.

Welcome! A blood parrot will not work with this tank and stocking.

What is your GH? You should be able to find this on your local water providers website. This will help us with stocking suggestions, although I have to admit the honey gourami is one of the larger sized fish suitable for this tank size

@Byron

I think a blood parrot would potentially overstock your tank. I can’t tell what your substrate is but maybe a bottom dweller like some loaches would be cool since you have middle and top action. As for tetras schools, I love embers and they are very peaceful and won’t bother your Gouramis.

My substrate is just gravel. I also love ember tetras, but am considering neon tetras because I love the red coloring against my plants. Would salt and pepper corys be a good fit for a bottom dweller?

My substrate is just gravel. I also love ember tetras, but am considering neon tetras because I love the red coloring against my plants. Would salt and pepper corys be a good fit for a bottom dweller?
Only if you have sand. This is a requirement

Welcome! A blood parrot will not work with this tank and stocking.

What is your GH? You should be able to find this on your local water providers website. This will help us with stocking suggestions, although I have to admit the honey gourami is one of the larger sized fish suitable for this tank size

@Byron

Ok. I fell in love with the "smile" on parrot fish and was crossing my fingers someone would say it will work.

The GH of my tank is 80/soft. My honeys are really tiny.. an employee at my LFS said they would only reach 1-2 inches tops. Not sure how true this is though.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Definitely no room for blood parrot cichlid. And yes, sand is needed for any cories.

But before we can suggest suitable fish, we need to know your parameters, especially GH (general hardness) and pH of the source (tap) water. Check with the water authority's website or call them if you do not know. GH is very important to fish.

Yep need sand for loaches and cories. Amano shrimp would be an option for the bottom

I have previously tried keeping shrimp (red cherry shrimp) and wasn't too successful... That's why I was looking more in the direction of corys.

For your GH dont get any more livebearers like mollies, guppies, endlers, platies and swordtails. Also no rainbowfish. They will suffer long term

The honey gourami will get bigger.

Definitely no room for blood parrot cichlid. And yes, sand is needed for any cories.

But before we can suggest suitable fish, we need to know your parameters, especially GH (general hardness) and pH of the source (tap) water. Check with the water authority's website or call them if you do not know. GH is very important to fish.
Gh is 80ppm

Great, thank you.

Water parameters:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH - 80
pH - 7

For your GH dont get any more livebearers like mollies, guppies, endlers, platies and swordtails. Also no rainbowfish. They will suffer long term

The honey gourami will get bigger.

I'm not doubting you, but why? I didn't know GH was so important. My next question was going to be can I add mollies.. Lol

I'm not doubting you, but why? I didn't know GH was so important. My next question was going to be can I add mollies.. Lol
The GH is the general hardness. Hard water fish like mollies and guppies take their nutrients and minerals from the hard water. Soft water lacks the minerals they need so they are starved of this and cannot function well in the long term, leading to a shorter life.

Soft water fish are the opposite, when placed in hard water they are overloaded with minerals they cant absorb and die sooner as well

Most reactions

Back