2 Questions! Angel Fish & Platy Fish Emergency!

"your fish that you dont know the name of is an albino pleco"

~x~
Thanks! :)
He's a sweet fish. Always hard at work making his way around the tank like a little vacuum.
It's nice to know the name.

This is the Platy with the indent/lump.
It looks like she is just bending to maybe turn or something, but it's how she is on a regular basis.

IMG00013-20111015-1338.jpg

angelfish can grow up to 20cm+ from tip of dorsal fin to tip of anal fin. the aquarium should be high as they like to swim up and down and once they are big. A minimum hight of the aquarium should be 50cm. what are the dimensions of your tank?

Cartridges.

It's made of white cloth like material, and what seems to be black rocks inside.

yes and you take the whole thing out and replace with a fresh one, i used to have one myself and leant like you are doing they are rubbish. Whats happen is (in a tank with a biological filter) ammonia is produced by fish as a waste product is it released through their fins, ammonia is similiar to bleach, and is poisenous to all species. In the filter there is media the bacteria live on the media and the main source of energy is ammonia, the use ammonia and produce nitrites and nitrates and waste products, nitrites are turned into nitrates which is used by plants as food, and can be gotten rid of by water changes.

The bacteria takes several weeks to breed enough to cope with the ammonia released by a single fish so in the first instance the water is poisenous for fish, so what you are supposed to do is run the filter for several prior to adding fish for a serious amount of bacteria to grow on the media inside the filter.

What you do is throw that bacteria away every month and start from fresh every time, giving your fish access to harmful ammonia levels again and again, in the other filter you rinse out sponges weekly to remove large clumps of gunge and replace them still full of hungry bacteria.

Hope that makes sense.

This is the Platy with the indent/lump.
It looks like she is just bending to maybe turn or something, but it's how she is on a regular basis.

IMG00013-20111015-1338.jpg

I think I've read something on the forums here about this curvature of the body, two things that came out were neon tetra diseas or fish TB, not an expert myself but I'd do some googling on those subjects and see what comes up. There are subjects on this forum if you type in curvature it comes up.

The fish doesnt look that healthy but maybe thats just the picture

Most reactions

Back