2 males int he same tank

Johnny V

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if it were normal for 2 male bettas to get along in a big tank. As an experiment (standing there with the net ready of course) I put 2 male bettas in my 55 gallon tank together. Not only did they not duke it out, but they even swam and 'played' together for a while. Maybe its the coloration? (one is white'pink and the other is deep blue) For the most part the leave each other alone but sometimes interact on a nonhostile basis. Is this normal or do I have super mellow bettas. ps there is tons of food in the tank, i cant help but overfeed my fish, they are so cute

hmmm.

when you least suspect it they will strike. then bye bye bettas. :no:

please for the sake of the bettas put them in different tanks. :nod:

DD

55 gallons is big. They might establish terroritories, and leave eachother alone if you are lucky.

What else is in the tank though?

Does anyone know if such a large tank will stress out the betta's completely? Or will they just learn to patrol their area and adapt?

so far so good. It's been 3 days and no fin nipping has occured. They basically stay away from each other except during feeding time during which they gang up my poor feeder fish (left over from cycling, couldnt bear to get rid of them) and eat all the food :D But yes, they have very distinct territories. (ill be moving one of them in 4 or 5 days when i get my other tank set up -john

I routinely keep two males in a divided tank where they can see each other, and I've found that if one of them is taken out or (unfortunately) one dies, his roommate becomes "depressed." So I think it IS possible for two males to become friendly. I wouldn't necessarily keep them together, but I think that it is possible for two males to get along. :kana:

Normally people wouldn't recommend that you keep two males together, however anything is possible. 55 gallons should be more than enough to give the two males their own territory. Anything smaller I think would end up with dead bettas.

You could be successful, but I would keep a CLOSE eye on them

i've been watching them (all day it seems) and the white betta is too distracted by my african butterfly fish to bother the other betta. They share the same area and sometimes the betta pecks at cricket legs hanging out of the ABF's mouth. :* :wub:

i had two males in a tank and they didnt bug each other, and a few minutes later when I wasnt looking, they had ripped each other to shreds

Please keep us updated though!!!

so far so good. The size of the tank definatly helps. They have seperate territories. But oddly enough, the territories are really close. On is on the front left side, the other is on the back left side. I think it's because the water is stiller over on the left side. I had a barb in there, had to take him out. He was upsetting everybody. I think he was about to get his butt kicked :lol:

I have read on here of someone having success in putting males bettas in the same tank. It was a very large tank, but he had been keeping bettas for many many many years, and had been experimenting on it for quite some time till he discovered how he could do it. It makes sence though. They would confront each other in the wild (i know, I know, these aren't wild), so it only seems natural that they can exist in the same tank if it is big enough for territories and minimal contact. Good luck with your boys, and I'm interested in seeing what happens in the future.

Most reactions

Back