2 Filters In One Tank

sparkycufc

Reaction score
I have been running 2 filters in one tank for about 3 weeks now, the idea is to bring the new filter up to speed with regards to beneficial bacteria etc. I was wondering how long people would leave it before transferring the 'new' filter into another tank which I intend to use as a quarantine or hospital tank should the need arise?

Cheers,

Nick.

Transfer the filter when you need it. If you put the q-tank filter into the quarantine tank with no ammonia source, the bacteria will die and you will have to cycle the filter again.

Hi Nick,

when i was running my 2nd external i was told about 8 weeks. i still have it running alondside to double the filtration so i cant say the exact length of time, just letting you know what i was told.
just a warning though if the 2nd filter is left in the same tank for a lengthy time then the tank will rely on it as each filter will grow enough bacteria to cope between them. if 1 is removed them keep an eye on the water stats for a while and maybe do a good water change to be safe.
alot of people use a small sponge filter in their main tank to remove into a quarentine/hospital tank. this is easier to swap about and cheaper to run and when done wity either place back in the main tank or if you dont want to risk transfering disease replace the sponge and start again with it as hopefully you wont be needing it too often once stocked :good:

Another idea is to stuff some QT filter media in your main filter. That way there's no reason to maintain and run 2 filters.

Cheers for that, my (new) idea is to move one filter out into my old tank which will now be used elsewhere in the house (and no longer as a hospital/quarantine tank) as she who must be obeyed has decided it will look nice at the top of the stairs, then start another filter off in the main tank which can be used in the hospital/quarantine tank which will be arriving in the next month or so.

Most reactions

Back