~2.5g Pico~

KeeperOfFishyPeace

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My project...to customize a regular 2.5 gallon tank into a pico reef!
The first thing did was shave off the unsightly excess silicone. I made a false wall on the right side of the tank with acrylic. I added a baffle to separate the equipment from filtration. I made my own surface skimmer too, and am using a Hydor PICO 300 pump. For the lighting, I'm going to be using a 12" Current Satellite fixture that puts out 18w. I will use a 25w Visi-Therm Stealth heater. The lighting and heater have yet to come (ordered them online); should come in the next few days.

Here's the plan:
25pico.jpg

Now, here are all the pics, from the beginning till now...there are lots!!!

I cut the acrylic main wall and it fits perfectly.
103_0394.jpg

Surface skimmer.
103_0400.jpg

False wall and baffle in place.
104_0409.jpg

Snug :)
104_0405.jpg

Pump
104_0406.jpg

Top view, looks like the original plan!
100_0006.jpg

I had some extra acrylic left and had an idea. I cut and painted the acrylic to the size I needed. I used it to cover up the fuge from view.
100_0007.jpg

But...if I do want to see what happening in the fuge, I can always open the makeshift door and see what's going on.
100_0004.jpg

Tools :good:
104_0432.jpg

Substrate
100_0017-1.jpg

Temporary light.
100_0047.jpg

FTS
101_0143.jpg

Fuge.
101_0133.jpg

Aquascape.
101_0124.jpg

Enjoy. :D

Neat little compact design. What are you gonna put in there livestock wise?

Hey I saw this on Nano-Reef :lol:

What are you going to have for lighting on a more permanent basis?

I'm going to have a 12" Current Satellite fixture thats puts out 18w or 7.2w per gallon. For livestock, I'm thinking of a fire or peppermint shrimp and will add 2 snails after cycling. As for corals, I'll have softies, small LPS corals, and a few basis SPS.
I currently have 1 blue-legged hermit that I just added a few hours ago. I'll be gone for a few days so in case some algae flares up I'll have it under control.

Also, if you guys didn't notice, I'm running a small Red Sea HOB filter for added filtration. I'm also pondering the idea of having small goby since I've got quite a bit of filtration. :)

The 12' Currents are great. I recently picked up a duel lamp for my pico as well. Does a great job. A little big though.

I would go for the goby. With enough live rock, a fuge, and a filter, that will be plenty. What goby were you thinking about?

Is the rock cured or fully cured? Looks a bit white.

The 12' Currents are great. I recently picked up a duel lamp for my pico as well. Does a great job. A little big though.

I would go for the goby. With enough live rock, a fuge, and a filter, that will be plenty. What goby were you thinking about?

Is the rock cured or fully cured? Looks a bit white.

I'm really not sure which goby I would get...hmmmm.

The live rock came from my larger tank, sat in a bin of water (just a little bit of die off), and then came to my tank; IMO it's pretty cured. It looks white because those rocks used to be one rock, it got smashed into pico worthy pieces :)

hey thats pretty awesome!

did you buy a big piece of acrylic and cut it yourself? if so what did you cut it with? i think i might be interested in doing something like this for my tank

Thats a great little design :good:

One thing though, how is the water getting in the second pump compartment?
Is there a hole in the T shape divider I carn't see?

the baffle or "divider" does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. there is about a 2cm space for the water to go through.
thanks for a all the compliments! :thanks:

the baffle or "divider" does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. there is about a 2cm space for the water to go through.
thanks for a all the compliments! :thanks:

Ah, I see :)

Again, great design.

I might have to steal it :shifty:

I am back...the tank is doing great! Haven't seen any signs that my cycle is underway.
The lighting and heater still haven't come but I'm waiting anxiously. I'm flying off early tomorrow morning to see the Georgia Aquarium :yahoo:

I'll be back Wednesday!

I am back...the tank is doing great! Haven't seen any signs that my cycle is underway.
The lighting and heater still haven't come but I'm waiting anxiously. I'm flying off early tomorrow morning to see the Georgia Aquarium :yahoo:

I'll be back Wednesday!

It'll be cool with the lighting on there B)

Is there a name for this type of setup?
I find it really amazing :good:

Oh, and have fun at the aquarium

Is there a name for this type of setup?
I find it really amazing :good:

Oh, and have fun at the aquarium

I don't think there's a real name for it, but what the contraption is, is a false wall (like in the Nanocube's, Aquapod's e.t.c).

I'll have fun at biggest aquarium in the world...over 30 million liters!

Most reactions

Back