1st Tropical Tank

Ok thanks

Also i have been looking at test kits and wondered if this was any good.

[URL="http://www.premier-aquatics.co.uk/p/704001...r-test-kit.html"]http://www.premier-aquatics.co.uk/p/704001...r-test-kit.html[/URL]

Thanks

that test kit is good, first off you cant keep neon tetras or black neons etc in a new tank, the chances are theyll die.

buy some hardier fish to go in first and then allow 6 months for your tank to mature.

read up on cycling. heres a basic summary of each one

fishless add ammonia each day to get levels to 5ppm and test everyday until, you can add ammonia and there are no ammonia and nitrite readings the following 12 hours.

fish in

you add your fish first and then do daily water changes for 5-6 weeks, until the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 (you may end up doing more than one water change a day)

IMHO your tank is not big enough for neon tetras buy a 2ft 60 litre and then they will be fine,

we generally stock 1 inch per US gallons but this rule is old! with the filtration we have these days and proper water changes you can allow 2 inches per gallon but this is not advisable until your tank has been up and running problem free for a good few months.

I only have room for a 10 gallon tanks so any recomendations of hardier fish for that sort of size.

and thanks truckasauras123

I like the look/sound of these 3:

Guppys
Harlequin rasbora
endlers

Any good 10 gallon tanks that anyone would recommend

Might be getting a bigger tank.

I like the look of siamese fighting fish and wondered what goes well with them. (Dainos, Tetras ect.)

not many fish will coexist with a siamese fighting fish, if you want one, buy a separate 3-5 gallon tank or your stocking will be limited

Thanks! I just wondering about cycling.

Am i right in thinking the values of ammonia, nitrates ect. should be 0.

Actually, ammonia and nitrIte should be 0. You will almost always have some nitrAte in the tank as it is the end result of the nitrification process. Levels have to get well over 100ppm before they become an issue except to the most delicate of fish. Most members in the UK seem to have 40ppm or more of nitrAte in their tap water so they obviously can't get their levels below that without artificial means.

Actually, ammonia and nitrIte should be 0. You will almost always have some nitrAte in the tank as it is the end result of the nitrification process. Levels have to get well over 100ppm before they become an issue except to the most delicate of fish. Most members in the UK seem to have 40ppm or more of nitrAte in their tap water so they obviously can't get their levels below that without artificial means.
the legal limit is 50!

and mine are 5ppm lol

Actually, some tests have shown that levels up to 400 and beyond are fine. Obviously, that depends on the fish you keep. But for our purposes, it is best to always keep them as low as possibe. As I mentioned a lot of our UK members have from 40 to 80 ppm in their tap water nd have no problems. If you don't have nitrate in your tap water whough, regular water changes should easily keep your nitrte level at 20 or below.

Most reactions

Back