1500 Gallon Shark Tank

carmichael7587

Reaction score
I am intrested in purchasing a 1500 gallon aquarium (120x48x60) Will this be a good size for horn sharks, bamboo sharks, Fiddler rays, lions, large angelfish, Tesselata Eel, sohal tang, Blonde Naso Tang, and much more! ( all are large )

Will have a 5 inch sand bed, and 88 pounds of fiji live rock in the corner. has 200 gallon sump Protein skimmers uv-sterlizer and much more!

A lot of those fish couldn't really live together. The tess eel would take the lions down, as probably would the sharks. You could probably get away with a couple of smaller sharks and a tess in there, though if the tess gets as large as they can (like 8-10 feet) then you have a hell of a large fish in that tank to try and put anything else in with it.

Also, that doesn't sound a lot of live rock, unless you are planning on some DSB you may find yourself doing a large number of (costly) water changes.

There is a thread on building a 1,900 gallon shark tank on another forum based on Cichlids IIRC.

A lot of those fish couldn't really live together. The tess eel would take the lions down, as probably would the sharks. You could probably get away with a couple of smaller sharks and a tess in there, though if the tess gets as large as they can (like 8-10 feet) then you have a hell of a large fish in that tank to try and put anything else in with it.

Also, that doesn't sound a lot of live rock, and the DSB should really be a bit deeper. The general rule is over 6 inches or less than one. Anything in between just seems to cause problems.

There is an article on building a 1,900 gallon shark tank on another forum based on Cichlids IIRC.

Pretty much everything but the sharks and Ray would end up being eaten, I would go with just the Horn shark, bamboo shark, Ray, and possibly the Tang if you can get one big enought and feed it well so it grows quickly, also I'd go all the way to an 8 inch Sand bed, more Nitrate reduction, make shure the skimmer is large aswell, overrated, two sharks alone would be quite a taxation on a skimmer.

For any large aggressive species you really need to choose which one you would like to keep and build the tank around it. That size tank would house any one of those for its entire life but the aquascaping would be different in most of the species cases. You may be able to get a couple on the list in the same tank setup but never get them all. Personally I would choose which one is your absolute favorite and design around that inhabitant. Also you could do two tanks side by side and you could get more speiceis in the same area.

My sump will be filled with live rock! It will be mostly sand and it will only have a little corner for the eel with 88 pounds of live rock. I would choose the sharks and rays and the eel and a few tangs and a large angelfish, they are so cool looking i want one that is about a foot long is this a better configuration? I will consider 8 inch sand bed isnt that a little extreme that would take up 200 gallons of my aquarium! however price is extreme for a 5 inch sand bed it cost me 1200 dollars! the aquarium is 120x48x60,
is 60 inches high enough to keep the fish away from the sharks?

what about a green moray they get big but will it be more suitable for my fish. will it survive? How fat will they get?

You must research what each fish needs and determine its compatability with the others. For instance a ray with tangs and angels is most likely going to be disasterous for the ray. If I were you I'd make a list and place which species you want in the order you want them. Then research if it is going to be possible.

I have a part time online business and i make about 100 grand a year just for toys and stuff, i plan to stick it in my entry, i will have another 12 inch concrete foundatio laid and i will tile that then i will put the tank there and it will be completely visible to 6 feet and under. i will have my filtration above tank!

list of importance:
1. sharks
2. Any Eel
3. Large angelfish
4. tangs
5.stingray

I wish I had this much disposable income. :lol:

Theres a store near us that has what I think is a 750 gallon pond tank that holds a bamboo shark, a ray, two panther groupers, a longhorn cowfish, sohal tang, large hippo and naso tang. I think thats about it. It works fine for him. I guess adding in more than one shark can be tricky.

wow sounds impressive!!!!

:drool:

wish I could afford a tank like that. Cant be any help to you really but good luck and get some pics posted once your set up :D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you really need more FW experience before SW... I mean, what's with your FW stocking?

freshwater 55 gallon all-glass aquarium (all fish are 4-5") 2 African ciclids, 2 oscars, 1 sparkling eel, 1 mono, 12" pleco, 2 moon crabs, 2 Blood parrots.

Yeah, what a good tank. African cichlids need an african setup, oscars are huge, messy and nasty, monos are brackish, the crabs I would imagine need land.

freshwater 10 gallon all-glass aquarium (all fish are 2-3") 2 bala sharks, 1 upside down catfish, 1 small pleco

All I can say is poor balas...

2 years experince (have not had one fish ever die since i started)

TBH, doesn't seem like it to me...

hey common guys whats with the negative comments, atleast make it into advice rather than critisizm, i think with salwtaer experience or not as long as your knowlegable about it you can start a tank up, eveyone has to learn at some points and gain the experience in saltwater "if they want to do this" and if you dont start sooner or later you will neevr get the experience. all i have to say is shop around and get good prices becuase in this every dollar counts if you want a great set-up. good luck,

I think the overall outstanding point being made here is there is a lot of research needed on a project of this type, you're only just beginning so take it slow and do it thoroughly.

Normal progression is:

1) Decide that you want a SW tank
2) Decide you want to keep certain fish
3) Research those fish and find that some are not easy/possible/compatible with each other
4) Refine your selections
5) Research more on the specific requirements of the chosen fish
6) Build the tank

I'd say you're at stage 2, time to progress to stage 3 :)

If you have that much money why not just let your LFS set everything up and maintain it?

Most reactions

Back