150 Gallon Filtration

erk628

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm planning a 150 gallon mbuna tank. Ive already got the tank and I'm doing my research planning my stock. I now need to know how much filtration I will need. I want this tank overstocked to help with agression issues. I was thinking of getting a fluval fx5 will this be enough or will I need more. I'd rather go overkill then not have enough. Thanks in advance to those who reply.

I run an fx5 and a tetratec ex1200 on my 150g (uk gal) and plan to add my aquaone 1200 too.

Between powerheads and filters you want a minimum 10 times/our turn over, the majority of your filtration should come from the filters. So you're looking at 1500 gph minimum.
good.gif

Between powerheads and filters you want a minimum 10 times/our turn over, the majority of your filtration should come from the filters. So you're looking at 1500 gph minimum.
good.gif
Well what I was thinking of running was a fx5 and two emperor 400's this would give me 1700gph. I was also thinking about making this under gravel jet system using powerheads and pvc pipe so there is no dead spot in the whole tank.I'd post the link to the plans to make this but its on another forum and don't want to get in trouble for posting it here. Here is a link to a video of one I found though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBigewjvvc

good.gif
Well what I was thinking of running was a fx5 and two emperor 400's this would give me 1700gph. I was also thinking about making this under gravel jet system using powerheads and pvc pipe so there is no dead spot in the whole tank.I'd post the link to the plans to make this but its on another forum and don't want to get in trouble for posting it here. Here is a link to a video of one I found though http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XZBigewjvvc

Sounds like a good plan, I'm hoping to set up UGJ on my 55 gal once I get it. It's ok to post links to cichlid-forum on here as long as they are articles/profiles that can't be found on TFF.:nod:

Oh ok didnt know that I'm going to post it in the tropical discussion section to get some ideas about it.

Most reactions

Back