125g Stocking

konenn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, but I was wondering if some fish would be compatable together. I'll be getting a 90-125g (125 hopefully) in a few months and I'm hoping to make it a brackish tank. Here are some of the fish I was wanting, I know some wont be able to be together (knight gobies, and bumble bee gobies), but heres just a general idea of some fish I would like to have :shifty:
  1. Figure Eight Puffer (maybe a group of these?)
  2. Knight Goby (cant decide between a few of these or some bbg's :sly:)
  3. Bumble Bee Goby
  4. Dragon Goby
  5. Some type of Sleeper Goby
  6. "Freshwater" Sole
  7. Butterfly Goby
  8. "Freshwater" Moray Eel (pretty sure this wouldnt work :no:)
A lot of gobies :S I'm sure there are a lot of others I'd like, just havent seen any. I'm really wanting to get some figure eight puffers, they're by far my favorite. I think it would be pretty cool to have a lot of figure eights, and some knight gobies or bbg's. I hear it's better to get a big group of the same fish than a pair of different species. I'm pretty sure this would be overstocked :p Most of those fish would mostly be at the bottom, dont know a lot of brackish fish that are at the top (not a fan of mollies) :( I'm definatley gonna use sand as substrate, with a lot of plants (fake), caves, etc for cover. This is a work in progress, I wont get anything for a few months, just trying to do a little research. Sorry for the long post, just trying to get a vague idea for a future tank :blush: Any suggestions/improvements would be appreciated, thanks in advance for the help :)

I think puffers skrew up the compatibility. Ive had mean ones and nice ones but the importantant thing is is that it only takes one bite from a puffer to be fatal. Morays are one of the most rewarding fishes to keep and 125 gallon would be good. BBG would be eaten by a moray though. A moray maybye 2 sleeper gobies and a few knights would be good. My expierience with morays is they eat small fishes, but it never harms anything unless it is attacked repeatedly. My moray was being harrased by a snapper i had for 3 weeks... Eventuly my moray got irratated and i found the snapper wedged througgh a crack in an ornament. I had to use a hand saw to get the "warped" corpse out. Other than that morays are peaceful and are to extremely vulnerable to aggressive fish. Morays and puffers are not compatible. Puffers hate eels and enjoy tortering them to death. Morays dont have fins that grow back. I would definately recomend a moray, and larger gobies. Puffers are happiest alone. My figure eight looks awsome, it has its own 30 gallon. Bumble Bee gobies are hard unless kept in groups. Knights are imortal. Ive had the same knight for 3 years. When i first got it was in with my puffer. My puffer removed all of his fins and he lied on the bottom of a hospital tank on his side for a month. He eventually recovered. I have no idea how he survived. Also flounders and puffers dont mix. Puffs rip thier eyes out.

Thanks for the info :D I might get another tank for some puffers, maybe a 55g?

Went to the LFS a few days ago and they had some morays in a tank. I saw the sign thing and started looking for them. They were in corners and sticking there heads out of some rocks with holes :lol: One even had a large sleeper goby laying on top of it :hyper:

So are morays pretty straight forward when it comes to maintenance? Do they stay in brackish there whole life, or will they need a marine tank later? Are they very active (dont really want another unactive, dull colored, predatory fish :p )? Most of the ones I see just kinda sit there :/ Sounds like a cool fish to keep though. So two sleeper gobies, a moray, and 2-3 knights mabye? Sorry for all the questions :blush:

Just trying to get an idea on what tank I might set up :lol: Can't decide between some cichlids, brackish, or some beginner salt water fish :look:

Sorry for the late response :blush:

Morays are really easy for anyone to keep, except pet stores. Once you get past the first month they are easy. When new eels come in their teeth are prttey dull if they are under 14inches. It is important to find out whether your moray will bite you. It is important to hand feed eels when they are young because they pay more attension to you. You need to feed them off of skewrs as they can grow some big teeth after being in captivity for a month or so. It is crucial that you do not put any aggressive fishes in with morays. Puffers never work with morays. 2 morays would fit in a 125 gallon together. Make sure they are the same size! Read my article on brackish eels. link is on bottom of my posts. Heres a quote from it, if you follow it you can not screw up, hopefully:

Reasons Why People Fail To Keep Their Brackish Moray Alive:

1. Poor Water Quality
. A salinity above 1.010 is required for all morays.
. It is imperative that the tank is sufficiently cycled.
. Also the water temperature should not be too high, 78 F or 26 C. Females can become egg bound.
2. Poor Diet
. All eels should be fed frozen food
. Live food is full of nasty parasites
. Also morays in the genus Gymnothorax need fish ever once in a while, they cant just live off shrimp.
. Overfeeding can make most large predatory fish sick
. They should be fed no more than once every other day
3. Boisterous Tank mates
. Fishes like puffers and other Tetraodontiformes tend to harass morays.
. Monos, and Scats are good choices.
. Morays will typically eat gobies and blennies that fit in their mouths, however large individuals will beat on and evict morays.
4. Uncovered Aquarium
. eels are escape artists.
. For some large eels a weighted cover is a must.
. Also filters should not appeal to an eel's "natural curiosity", morays love to get trapped in filters
5. Lack of Attention/Maturity
. Morays are not for beginners
. Morays appreciate specialized species tanks.
. You cannot cut corners with morays, there are no shortcuts

You really, really don't need to feed moral eels by hand, at all. Once they grab hold, they're resistant to let go, and their teeth are sharp. Combined with slightly salty water, and you've got a recipe for disaster that is unnecessary from my experience. My moray can find prawns I drop in for him easily, and he'll also feed from long armed tongs.

Thanks for the help Marine/Freshwater? and Fella :D I think i'll look into getting an eel ;)

Most reactions

Back