125 gallon tank - how much

ChrisCook

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is for future reference really - how much would a second hand (but in very good condition) 125 gallon tank cost to buy and how much to run?

It depends on its demensions i.e length, width and height and what power filter, lighting and heater you run in it- the price varys so much for second hand tanks you would need to find out more info on it first.

Alot. I doubt you'll find a second hand 135G tank for under $100. When you dont have a steady income (Or any income at all) everythings too much..... But other people do it, so just know where your priorities are. Not eating for a month or getting that dream tank. :crazy:

Any ways, on a more serious note, If its a old second hand tank, It'll cost a little bit for just general repairs. Things you can expect. But then theres things you didn't expect.

After writing this, I relized I have no clue whatsoever, and I am just rambling.

All I can say is that you'll pay over $500.
(Unless, the fish, gravel, and decorations are all second hand)

well, I bought my 100 gallon tank for 50$ and it came with a power-filter (2), 3 angelfish, 2 clown loaches, and a bleedingheart tetra, Bubbler thing,gravel,plants and I know it was an awesome deal!

My lfs had a 150 with stand and lights for $250, but that had no filter and what not.

I wish I lived near yall. The 75G at the HAR Mar mall is, what $350, with stand?

Edit: OOPS!! $350!! Not $3350!

They are still going to be very expenisive. I think a good second hand price is a dollar a gallon. 150 gallon 150$ sounds good. The only other way is for free or keeping your eye out for garbaged fish tanks which may be good or in need of slight repair.

Well, tanks can get down to $1 per gallon new if you want something small OR if you catch a sale. That isn't outside the realm of possibility for second hand. The biggest problem for buying is that the stand is usually included and stands are NOT cheap. Most people have to pay a HUGE amount for new and then want at least half of theat back when they sell. And if the filtration is included, etc, it will be even more.

Take a look around ebay and aquabid and you'll get an idea about how much things go for. My main problem with some of these is that they won't ship. AH! The deals I could have gotten if I lived in MY or NJ!! Chicago!!! But, oh well, I keep looking for the gem for sale in Memphis!

LifeBear said:
Well, tanks can get down to $1 per gallon new if you want something small OR if you catch a sale. That isn't outside the realm of possibility for second hand. The biggest problem for buying is that the stand is usually included and stands are NOT cheap. Most people have to pay a HUGE amount for new and then want at least half of theat back when they sell. And if the filtration is included, etc, it will be even more.

Take a look around ebay and aquabid and you'll get an idea about how much things go for. My main problem with some of these is that they won't ship. AH! The deals I could have gotten if I lived in MY or NJ!! Chicago!!! But, oh well, I keep looking for the gem for sale in Memphis!
[snapback]854333[/snapback]​

Yeah i know the feeling, a good policy is to be willing to drive 2 hrs or so at least.. If i happen to catch anything in memphis its all you.. But yeah i mean i got luck and snagged a 55 for free 2 weeks ago.. stand filter tank free. Stands do cost a lot of money and the tanks themselves are generally cheap. DIY is a good thing to invest your time and money in building stands because its a hell of a lot cheaper.

theres a 150g down at petsmart where i shop. full oak stand(2 cabinent doors). super nice, comes with a 1 piece halogen fixture wit 2 bulbs,2 cover things for the top,under gravel filters,n thats it..tank is done in oak to. they're askin $499.99

then they also have an all black 125 with all black stand with 2 doors also, comes wiht undergravel filter deals,hoods,lighting. and thats it. and they want $325..

Most reactions

Back