125 gallon, good deal?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

endilliteracy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a 125 gallon for 125 dollars. The thing is, it doesn't come with a stand or any equipment. I would have to purchase a stand and also another heater, filter, aqaurium sand, and decorations. Should I go for it, or should I purchase a 100 gallon with the stand/hood/lights/equipment for 350$?

yup
aquarium stands are very expensive

you're better off with the package

yvez9 said:
yup
aquarium stands are very expensive

you're better off with the package
Okie dokie. Well hopefully he still has it for sale. I've been trying to contact him but with no success. :-( Hopefully I can get it in time for my birthday (Valentines Day) :wub:

No Buy the 125. Make your own stand. it is not hard and often it ends up Being stronger Than the ones You would buy. I made one for my 55 that Can hold me and my dad together and it was only 40$. You could get tropicla Play sand from a home depot which is around 5$ for 50 pounds and Is Safe for fish. That right there is most of your expense and It isnt that much. You would probly spend less than 350 With Some DIY stuff.

I agree with Fishy411. Most of the stands out there in the stores look good on the outside, but you need to open the doors & look at the lack of support. Some are plain scary. Build your own for around a third of the price, and it's much stronger. Check out the diy section at garf.org.

Gravel at the lfs is way overpriced, home improvement stores are the way to go for that. Get your heater, filters, & decorations online, and any larger rocks at a landscaping outfit.

Doing this you'll have a larger tank for less money, with all the equipment the way you want it.

Tolak

Hmm...I am 17 and a girl. I don't think building is my kind of thing. :lol: Maybe my boyfriend or dad would help me build it? I think I might just go with the 100 gallon that has everything with it. :dunno:

This is what the 100 gallon comes with:
2 rio 2500 pumps, wet/dry flilter system, mod 4 filter, driftwood and plenty of decor. Also comes with 150lbs of sand. Oh, brand new glass top.

endilliteracy said:
Hmm...I am 17 and a girl. I don't think building is my kind of thing. :lol: Maybe my boyfriend or dad would help me build it? I think I might just go with the 100 gallon that has everything with it. :dunno:

2 rio 2500 pumps, wet/dry flilter system, mod 4 filter, driftwood and plenty of decor. Also comes with 150lbs of sand. Oh, brand new glass top.
I think beetween yur bf and dad you will have plenty of knowledge. Mine looks exactly like the one My mom wanted to get me but Mine is built like a tank and the other is more like a 1945 pickup :D

Fishy411 said:
endilliteracy said:

I think beetween yur bf and dad you will have plenty of knowledge. Mine looks exactly like the one My mom wanted to get me but Mine is built like a tank and the other is more like a 1945 pickup :D
Well I am going to get the 100 gallon. I don't want to have anything built. I'd rather just buy it because I am lazy and eager to add fish. :p :lol:

Yeah, I'd just go with the 100 gallon. I'm not exactly the do-it-yourself type either, so I can see the value in having a pre-made stand :p

Most reactions

Back