105litre stocking (28 us gallons)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You can never believe everything you see on YouTube. Anyone with no knowledge can make a video and make all sorts of claims. Always use reputable sites for research. The best site is Seriously Fish. There are several species commonly called hillstream loaches, here are a few on Seriously Fish. One thing they all have in common is a temperature below 24 deg C and the needs for fast flowing water.

You can never believe everything you see on YouTube. Anyone with no knowledge can make a video and make all sorts of claims. Always use reputable sites for research. The best site is Seriously Fish. There are several species commonly called hillstream loaches, here are a few on Seriously Fish. One thing they all have in common is a temperature below 24 deg C and the needs for fast flowing water.

When i got my information it was from aquarium coop. he owns a fish shop and i trust him to be knowledgeable. He has bred hillstream loaches in an 85f/29c. He has also bred them in low flow tanks. thanks for trying to help but i’m sure they’re fine where they are.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Reference your neon tetras they do well in 72-78 degree water, I also have hard water but not as hard as yours. I use RO water to help soften my water for my tetra tank. Neon tetras come from South American jungle streams with very soft water. They prefer shade and bright lights can stress them. Floating plants can help and having plenty of hiding spots and leafy plants well help. They are not as hardy as other fish and may not do well in a newly set up tank. An established tank of at least 6 months is best. I lost several neon and ember tetras when my tetra tank was new .
Thanks for the advice. i will definitly be getting some floating plants this weekend then. How would i get RO water? would it be very expensive? when i search for it it just shows these expensive machines.

When i got my information it was from aquarium coop. he owns a fish shop and i trust him to be knowledgeable. He has bred hillstream loaches in an 85f/29c. He has also bred them in low flow tanks. thanks for trying to help but i’m sure they’re fine where they are.

The videos posted in this thread are not accurate nor reliable. Give me the scientific knowledge/training these individuals have had. I can tell you now, it is zero, or they would not post this inaccurate and misleading information.

No one--not me, not you who are reading this, and not the individuals behind those videos--can possibly know the fish are healthy or happy or whatever. Fish cannot talk to tell us. Once we learn how fish live, meaning their physiology and metabolism and biological functions, and if we then provide what they "expect," we can be reasonably assured they will likely be in good health.

Fish like most animals have a strong will to live. They will attempt to make the best of whatever we force upon them. Externally, there is usually no sign of whether this is helping or hindering the fish's life--until it is too late.

When you get sick, are you going to go to a qualified doctor for help? Or do you instead rely on the nice lady whose hobby is reading tea leaves at the county fair?

This is a totally scientific hobby. And any aquarist who cares about the fish will research what a species requires--and research from qualified knowledgeable individuals--and then reasonably provide that environment. Only then can we be reasonably confident that the fish are thriving and not just surviving. Read the two citations in my signature block.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. i will definitly be getting some floating plants this weekend then. How would i get RO water? would it be very expensive? when i search for it it just shows these expensive machines.
I buy in at culigan water. they are a company that sells water softeners and filters. It cost me 29 cents a gallon and they sell it in 5 gallon jugs.

The videos posted in this thread are not accurate nor reliable. Give me the scientific knowledge/training these individuals have had. I can tell you now, it is zero, or they would not post this inaccurate and misleading information.

No one--not me, not you who are reading this, and not the individuals behind those videos--can possibly know the fish are healthy or happy or whatever. Fish cannot talk to tell us. Once we learn how fish live, meaning their physiology and metabolism and biological functions, and if we then provide what they "expect," we can be reasonably assured they will likely be in good health.

Fish like most animals have a strong will to live. They will attempt to make the best of whatever we force upon them. Externally, there is usually no sign of whether this is helping or hindering the fish's life--until it is too late.

When you get sick, are you going to go to a qualified doctor for help? Or do you instead rely on the nice lady whose hobby is reading tea leaves at the county fair?

This is a totally scientific hobby. And any aquarist who cares about the fish will research what a species requires--and research from qualified knowledgeable individuals--and then reasonably provide that environment. Only then can we be reasonably confident that the fish are thriving and not just surviving. Read the two citations in my signature block.
Well explained :)

Most reactions

Back