105 Gallon Stocking Plan

I tried a JD with my tiger Oscar and the JD beat up on my oscar non stop and they were in a 120 gallon. Might work out for you though.

If you're really keen on the GT and JD, why not drop the oscar? It would be a fab set up without him. Depends on the oscar I guess, but the JD and GT are both generally more aggressive, and could bully an oscar - then again he could rule the roost!

I think with these big cichlids, much of it is trial and error -_-

If you're really keen on the GT and JD, why not drop the oscar? It would be a fab set up without him. Depends on the oscar I guess, but the JD and GT are both generally more aggressive, and could bully an oscar - then again he could rule the roost!

I think with these big cichlids, much of it is trial and error -_-

I agree with the trial and error thing. I am scared to add ANYTHING to my tank in fear of falling in love with it and then my oscar and parrot don't like them at all and having to take it back. :lol:

Been in that situation when I had mine too.

Glad I've only got a community tank now! Well, not glad, cos I miss my cichlids. :unsure:

I started out with a community tank and then switched to a cichlid tank. I miss the look of all the smaller fish swimming about, but I like how the bigger fish have more of a personality to them. Just seems hard to find the perfect match of fish. :lol:

i think you will be fine but each fish has its own personality, I have 180 gallon tank with one 10'' GT, a 6-7'' JD, one 7'' shovel nose cat, one 7'' green severum, two 4'' tiger botias, two 3-4'' clown loaches, and two 4'' spotted armored cats.

and when i drop in a few feeder gold fish The JD and the shovel nose are the only ones who eat them which really suprised me the GT just waits for his pellets and frozen brine shrimp, I also had a 6 '' jaguar but that is the only fish the GT has ever killed.

I also bought all these fish at the same time when they were all very small. i guess the only thing you can do is try it and see what happens. GT's are generally aggressive but mine seems to be pretty passive.

I have a JD and GT together but mine will not be able to be kept together much longer. The JD, when I purchased the two, was smaller than the GT. Actually, I had two GT's and the one JD at the time. One GT died. Today the JD is bigger than the GT because he doesn't let the GT eat much. The GT hasn't grown at all in size since I've got him. The JD rips his fins and it's time for the JD to get moved to a different tank. I tried to make the situation better by moving the two to a much larger tank and it helped the fin tipping at little, but not enough. The JD just needs to be by himself. You can try to keep the combo of fish together but keep atleast one spare time ready incase it doesn't work out. That's all anyone can really say.

That's a good point. Oscars are quick growers, whereas GTs are notoriously slow ones. Not sure about the other fish, but you would probably have to start off with a larger GT (not necessarily huge, or adult - but with a head start) if you were wanting an oscar in there. And if the others are slow growing, then it'd mean the same for those.

And then you'd have to think - the others would be bigger than the O and possibly bully him. Or not! Working out the best companions for an oscar can be quite tricky...then again some folks get lucky first time :lol:

GT's grow very slow. I bought a red devil at 1.5 inches and my GT was already 3 inches. Now they're both about 5 inches. Also, if you get a female GT it will grow slower than a male. Pick one out of the tank that isnt bullying any of the other ones or one of the smaller ones.

Is there a reason the oscar is a must. With any cichlid it will be trial and error. One of the exciting things about a cichlid tank is you never know who is going to be head honcho. More than likely it won't be an oscar though unless he can eat his tank mates lol. also remember you'll never know until you try.

Most reactions

Back