100 Gallon Tank

i find it funny how people are scared of the weight of fish tanks, yet they don't mind having a bathroom on the second floor. A person taking a bath full of water must at least weight as much as a 55 gallon tank if you include all the piping required to run it. yet, people don't even think about it. when it comes to fish tanks though, they think it's going to collapse the floor or something.... unless your floor is rotting, i doubt there is any risk at all

i find it funny how people are scared of the weight of fish tanks, yet they don't mind having a bathroom on the second floor. A person taking a bath full of water must at least weight as much as a 55 gallon tank if you include all the piping required to run it. yet, people don't even think about it. when it comes to fish tanks though, they think it's going to collapse the floor or something.... unless your floor is rotting, i doubt there is any risk at all

I think, if you read the article in the link provided, it states that builder know where the bathroom is going to be, and therefore purposely puts in more support for the bathroom so it is guaranteed to take the weight.

Adam

when a building is built they design the floor under the bath to carry extra weight -_- so ive been told

sry i didnt see page 2 lol

I so love these post about weight, and the myths, misconceptions that follow them.

1 Weight is always a factor no matter what floor your on, (excluding the concrete slab the house is built on). Water /gal equates to 8.33 lbs, factor in aquarium, stand, substrate, decorations, accessories etc and your talking about a lot.

2 The comparison between the "i weigh 200lbs and my friends weigh 600lbs" stuff is ridiculous, one you and your friends are not sitting in the same spot of the course of time. NO your tank isnt going to go crashing thru the floor as soon as you set it up. (unless your house is like 200 yrs old) what will happen, is (if not at a load bearing wall) the beams underneath will begin to sag over time. Then eventually you may have a beam crack or even break.

3, Weight distribution is what everyone needs to think about and what no one ever mentions. Those iron stands put all of the weight at 4 tiny points. this is what will cause problems in the LONG TERM. a stand that evenly distributes the weight along the course of runners both thru the width and depth of the tank is your best deal. AND yes use an outseide wall running accross the support beams(if you can find how they run) for best support. Something in the middle of the room in excess lbs just screams disaster.

4, OH the other comparison about bathrooms /waterbeds. One, a bathroom is constructed with a sole purpose. xtra support is thrown into these rooms because obviously a cast iron tub, or porcelin, and water is gonna be heavy. BUT even still, this is not weight that is there constantly.

waterbeds, Just use your head, look at the base of a waterbed the surface area it takes up. the wieght is distributed through a huge surface area and therefore no one are has a heavy load on it.

Hope this helps and happy fish keeping
Kevin

lol well my comparsion to the friend concept was a joke, but I guess it has no affect, so it was a joke, I thought it was obvious.

Cal i meant no disrepect to you or anyone. Your comparison as a joke, has been used by many people to try and explain weight issues with tanks. So even though you meant it as a joke, ive seen many many people who actually believe in that theory. Sad isn't it =)

Kevin

Most reactions

Back