100 Dollar Betta

dont know, however i have never seen a albino Betta before, i'm quite intrigued :)

Seeing as it's an albino, I imagine that it is indeed worth that price... I'm glad that it is that price, personally, because only a breeder would really want and be able to afford that price, and hopefully (if albinoism doesn't harm the betta.. Not sure, it may cause blindness, but I may be thinking of severe opaques) she'll be bred and we'll see more albinos. I wouldn't mind having one when they're more popular. :shifty:

albinos are ridiculously light sensitive. They need to be kept in low light, and because of the lack of pigmentation in their eyes seem to go blind quite early on in their lives. Synirr got one and wanted to breed it, but it had already gone, or was very nearly, blind, and couldn't find the female, even in a smaller-than-usual breeding tank

synirr's albino breeding attempt

albinos are ridiculously light sensitive. They need to be kept in low light, and because of the lack of pigmentation in their eyes seem to go blind quite early on in their lives. Synirr got one and wanted to breed it, but it had already gone, or was very nearly, blind, and couldn't find the female, even in a smaller-than-usual breeding tank

Ah, I thought there might have been such an issue with them. :) In that case, it's probably best that they're so hard to breed. Would hate to create more bettas that would suffer in high light situations.
I knew Synirr had one, but i never knew the outcome. Thanks for posting!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is good wisdom repeated often in many forms by wise men and women.

I breed long fin Corys and I hope soon Plecs. Many criticize and ridicule as well as chastize me for "ruining" the species. But others like them. My babies and I are a happy lot.

The albino Betta is still being developed as a viable variant. It is not easily bred and so of course it is expensive and a fish for those developing new variations, which our Synirr is known to do. Sadly the last of my mini plakads from Synirr is passed. :-(

Glad you brought that up. That helps explain some things about albino fish.

I know albino fish are usually very expensive becuase they are usually rare, however more have been starting to show up in certain breeds.

To a breader it is worth 100 dollars. Imagine a albino spawn. That would just be crazy! :nod:

Is it just me or do the red eyes look photoshopped? They dont' usually have the black around the eyes like that do they? I mean, albino means they lack pigment (which would mean NO black).

Is it just me or do the red eyes look photoshopped? They dont' usually have the black around the eyes like that do they? I mean, albino means they lack pigment (which would mean NO black).
It's the same breeder I got mine from, it's real. Pretty sure it's just ocular albinism though, because as you mentioned, there is pigmentation elsewhere. He did have a fish from another spawn of his that was an ocular albino, so maybe this one is related.

Most reactions

Back