10 Tank's fish and tanks

Hello and happy Tuesday. Taking a break from the tanks today. Have several errands to run, so we had to start the tank schedule a little earlier this week. Seeing more algae growth in some of the tanks lately. We're just removing it as it accumulates, so no big deal. We know we're not overfeeding and the water chemistry is fine due to all the water we're removing and replacing, so not sure of the reason for the sudden growth. Anyway, we'll keep doing what we're doing and remove the algae as needed.

More light due to longer days now you're coming into spring weather?
Hello Colin. Good thought. The tanks are in my fish room in the basement, so the lighting is constant. I have one in my living room, but no direct light and I haven't noticed much of an algae change in it. Nothing to be concerned about, but when you deal with the tanks as often as I do, you notice every little change. Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

Good morning. Wednesday morning and we'll complete the water changes on our three tanks and the one that belongs to the government office. Whoa! We've had some windy weather lately. Typically, March is our windy month, but this year it's April. But, we have absolutely no trace of pollution in the air. Sometimes, if we look south toward Denver, you can see a brownish haze. Not now. That haze has been blown some other direction. The skies are clear!

Wednesday supplement. We've decided to streamline the water changing process for the tank at the government office. We're going to measure the distance from the tank to the janitor's closet and to see if we can get a faucet attachment. We'll get a python siphon to attach to the faucet and fill the tank directly from that faucet. We've been doing this type of thing for our home tanks for some time and it just makes the water changing process so much easier. We're currently able to use the python to remove the water in the government's tank, but up until now, we're still using the bucket method to fill it. Anyway, I'll report on this tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Hello, hello. Thursday morning and we got a dusting of snow last night. Kind of cool this morning too. But, that's the month of April in northern Colorado for you. So, we have two tanks today. We'll change the water in a 55 and the 300 gallon outdoor tank. Was over at the government office yesterday and found that the tank is just too far away from the closest faucet. So, we're not going to be able to use a hose to fill the tank. The faucet isn't the right configuration for attaching a hose anyway. Oh well. It was a good idea. Next month is the first anniversary of the tank being set up in the government office. The tank as matured nicely and the fish are all doing very well. The Zebra Nerite Snails are still around. Typically, they don't live much more than a year, but the two are doing well as near as we can tell.

What about a trolley for moving the water at the office?
Just a 4 wheel trolley with a handle. Put a couple of buckets of water on it and wheel it across the room.

What about a trolley for moving the water at the office?
Just a 4 wheel trolley with a handle. Put a couple of buckets of water on it and wheel it across the room.
Good morning. Hey, that's a great idea! Maybe a small wagon for moving the buckets. I love it! I'll still have to do a little lifting to stack the buckets to the height of the tank, so I can siphon in the new water, but the process would be somewhat easier. Thanks so much for response!

You could use a small water pump and hose to pump water from the buckets into the aquarium. Make a U out of pvc pipe and attach it to the end of the hose. The U hangs over the edge of the tank and stops the hose falling out. Then turn a pump on and fill the tank. When that bucket is nearly empty, move pump into other bucket to continue filling the tank. Pour remaining water from first bucket into second bucket.

Hello Colin. You're just full of ideas. I'm doing something similar to your idea. But, I really like the water pump part of your suggestion. I'll look at small water pumps today and post what I found. I had one years and years ago before I started using the Python siphon, but it's long gone.

I used an AquaClear 800 power head but any small water pump with an outlet that can have a hose put on it should work.

Hello. Back again. Got a submersible water pump, so I should be ready for the next water change which will be this Saturday. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure we'll need to tweak a couple of things, but anything to make life and the Water Keeping Hobby a little easier.

Hello and we're closing up another week of tanks, errands, changing weather conditions and political trials. I don't recall things being this crazy when growing up in the 50s and 60s. Guess my parents thought the same thing. Anyway, we have the day off from the tanks. Am not liking my 75 gallon. There aren't many fish in it and the aqua scape isn't to my liking either. The lighting is too strong for the plants and the Dwarf Water Lettuce doesn't like the stronger light either. So, we have some ideas and will work on those as we have time. Right now, we're simply changing out half the tank water every week and feeding three times a week. The fish we have are fine, but not what we want. I think I'll start with some different filtration. Right now, there isn't any. I don't know, time will tell.

It's Saturday morning and we have snow on the ground. Guess I won't have to water the garden for a few days. That works for me! Well, yesterday we got the water pump and found it too powerful for our needs. So, we ordered one that's much smaller. We'll return the other one. No harm done, live and learn. Moving right along, we'll do a 50 percent water change on the government's 55 gallon tank. The Java Moss in this tank is growing very well, maybe even a bit too well. May have to remove a little, but we can do that. The Dwarf Water Lettuce that we moved from the 50 gallon tank some time back is growing well in some tanks, but not in others. It's interesting. The tanks are essentially the same as far as lighting, but the plant just doesn't do well in some tanks. It's this kind of thing that makes keeping fish tanks so interesting and challenging.

Most reactions

Back