10 Tank's fish and tanks

Sunday. A nice sunny day after a day of steady rain. The garden is looking very nice. A healthy crop of Bleeding Hearts. So many Lilies of the Valley and only my wife could tell you what else she has growing. We're working early this week on the tanks. Five need a bit of work on the plants and half the water changed. Like to get a head start on things, just in case something comes up that requires out attention.

Sunday. A nice sunny day after a day of steady rain. The garden is looking very nice. A healthy crop of Bleeding Hearts. So many Lilies of the Valley and only my wife could tell you what else she has growing. We're working early this week on the tanks. Five need a bit of work on the plants and half the water changed. Like to get a head start on things, just in case something comes up that requires out attention.

Excellent . Two of my favorite plants . Bleeding Hearts and Lily of The Valley . Very good to get a head start this time of year on gardening . Something always comes up , usually the spring weed bloom , this time of year . I figure I’m a slave to my garden from now until mid June and then it tapers off to a dull roar .

Hello. Can we post a few garden shots on this subject? The pictures would be off the original subject, but maybe just a couple. My wife has the "green thumb". I just water when she tells me the garden needs it.

So, I'm working on the 75 gallon tank that's been hazy and ugly for a few weeks, if not months. I have a turtle filter running in the tank. I needed to lower the water level, so the filter would work. Hopefully, it will clean up the haziness.

Monday morning. I like Mondays so much better now that I'm retired. I used to work in a mail and shipping department. I never looked forward to Mondays, because there was always two days of mail to go through. All the stuff that built up on Saturday and Sunday. There was generally a lot!

So, today we're working on three tanks. Not a heavy load by any means. These tanks have Buenos Aires Tetras. I believe we're up to 30 in the three tanks. We keep larger tanks, so changing half the tank water weekly is just enough to remove dissolved fish waste and to replenish water nutrients.

Tuesday morning. A breezy morning, but sunny. We'll work on the 60 gallon and the 100 gallon tanks today. The 75 gallon which we would normally add to our list for today, will be left alone. Drained half the water out of it and installed a filter that goes inside the tank and am hopeful if I run the filter long enough, it will remove the haziness that has been a problem for several weeks. Removed all the driftwood and rearranged some rocks. Also vacuumed some of the bottom material. There aren't many fish in this tank. It has a few Guppies and Platys. We'll see how things go.

You know, time flies when you're retired and busy. With all the animals, fish and a bird, things get hectic. Then, there's the tank at the government office and the garden. Sometimes, I feel we're as busy now as when we were working.

Wednesday. We'll finish up the tank work for this week by changing out the water in a 55 gallon tank and the outdoor 300. We've had some rain, so the 300 is pretty full. The fish have no problem with nature adding a little water to their tank. I always keep the water level in this tank down a few inches. Every once in a while we'll get a heavy rain and the water rises to within a couple of inches of the rim of the trough. We also will check up on the tank at the government office. They lost one of their Glolight Tetras. No sure of the cause. It was roughly a year old. All the others seem fine. The tank gets two 50 percent water changes weekly, so the chemistry should be steady and healthy.

Wednesday supplemental. Good news first. Have two new Buenos Aires Tetras in the 50 gallon tank this morning. But, I lost an 8 year old Goldfish in my 100. There are four left out of a dozen or so feeder Goldfish I put in the tank just over eight years ago. I think once the rest are gone, I'll drain the tank and put it away. It was just an experiment anyway. I never thought it would work. At the time I was using some large Chinese Evergreen plants to supplement the filters. It worked great, until I learned the leaves could be toxic to our cats. So, those plants went away.

It's a sunny Thursday morning. We started the tank routine a day early this week, so we could catch up on some things unrelated to keeping the water in fish tanks. Today, we have a day off. The tanks are doing well. Even the 75 is starting to look a bit better. The fish in it seem fine. There may have been something in the driftwood that was toxic to some of the fish. Don't know what that would be, but we removed the pieces and continue to remove and replace half the water every few days.

Good morning and a happy Friday. End of the week for those working people. Thank you workers for your efforts. I miss my working days. Not the work so much. I worked for a large construction company for almost 34 years. Before that, I was in the US Navy for eight years and prior to that I was a school teacher. 42 years or so of work all together. That was enough for me. So, today we're out about running errands. No tank work today. We'll feed the fish little. I feed three times a week. This keeps the fish a little hungry and active and keeps the snail population to a minimum. Speaking of snails, if you want to know if you're feeding your fish or whatevers too much, then check your snail population. If you have too many, you need to reduce the amount you feed.

Most reactions

Back