10 Gallon Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquaman187

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Would I be able to house any cichlids in there comfortably.

i would not think so as most of the cichlids crow 10cm+ and need to have other cichlids with them to feel comfortable so in short no :no:

NOpe of what i have read about most cichlids i think kribs are the smallest ones and they are recommended a minimum 20g for a pair!! not without causing damage.
10g is gonna be super for a Betta. you will never get bored of this guy they got the attitude of an oscar with the fins of the rarest goldfish.

If it's a standard 10 gallon, 20 inches long, you could keep a pair of Blue or Gold Rams in there no problem. They will breed though, but I never had any problems finding takers for the excess young. Of course, they are not African/Old World.

A pair of butterfly jewel cichlids will do just fine in a ten. They are west Africans.
A pair of apistos would also do well. S/A
A pair of Nannacara would also work. S/A
A pair of rams. S/A
A pair of Nanochromis sp. West Africans

yeah some rams would probably look quite good in a planted tank with some tetras in with them :nod: :good:

A pair of Tanganyikan shell dwelling cichlids work really well in a 10G. Depends how hard your water is.

A pair of Tanganyikan shell dwelling cichlids work really well in a 10G. Depends how hard your water is.

Ah finally, several answers before someone eventually mentions there is more than one lake in Africa ---- TANGANYIKA -------------- :hyper:

I have a colony of exLamprologus multifasciatus in a 10 gallon, lots of juveniles and countless fry, have kept Altolamprolgus compressiceps sp. "shell" (Sumbu) in a 10 gallo and bred successfully, oh and at the moment also have a pair of exlamprologus caudopunctatus who constantly spawn...... :good:

Cheers, Sean

A pair of butterfly jewel cichlids will do just fine in a ten. They are west Africans.
A pair of apistos would also do well. S/A
A pair of Nannacara would also work. S/A
A pair of rams. S/A
A pair of Nanochromis sp. West Africans
These all require a tank of 20 gallons or more and as for the rams a ten gallon would cause an outbreak of fighting even between a breeding pair. I would recommend that you get a pair of kribs. But you could only have one pair in the ten with no other fish.

Most reactions

Back