10 Gallon Tank

snapcracklepop

Reaction score
Hey all!

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased a 10 gallon starter kit tropical fishtank from petsmart. After 48 hours, I purchased my first fish. Sadly, after a week or so, two of the three passed away :(. I later found out my ammonia level was exceptionally high. I'm working to get the tank stable, but currently, I have a betta and guppy. They both seem to be doing wonderfully, and I've added a few plants and hiding places.

If you have any suggesitons for me, please tell me! I want to do everything the best I can!

Thanks! :)

well im guessing you didn't cycle your tank. heres what cycling does, the ammonia is toxic to ALL fish, cycling a tank makes the bacteria that eats ammonia and turns it into nitrIte multiply, then different bacteria that eat toxic nirtIte (toxic to ALL fish) into harmless nitrAte (note nitrAte is only harmless in small ammounts anything from 0ppm-160ppm is fine).
with out a cycled tank the bacteria could will not be high enough to tackel the problem of ammonia and nitrIte released from fish waste and rotting vegitation/food.
i sugest you reed up on fishless cycling and do it or you will have to do Lots of water changes and keep ammonia and nitrIte under 0.25ppm so that the bacteria count can increase.
it is best to do a fishless cycle as it does not risk any fish and will be quicker and less hassle.
also i know you are new but you should add fish for at-least a week, as you are new and you didn't know that, and now you are asking for help which shows you want to do the best for your fish.

hope this helps ad i hope the fish will stay happy

Hey all!

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased a 10 gallon starter kit tropical fishtank from petsmart. After 48 hours, I purchased my first fish. Sadly, after a week or so, two of the three passed away :(. I later found out my ammonia level was exceptionally high. I'm working to get the tank stable, but currently, I have a betta and guppy. They both seem to be doing wonderfully, and I've added a few plants and hiding places.

If you have any suggesitons for me, please tell me! I want to do everything the best I can!

Thanks! :)

It is generally not a good idea to put a betta and a guppy in the same tank. Bettas can view the guppy as another betta because of their long flowing tail and may attack it. I know they seem to be getting along right now, but that could change. It might be a good idea to separate them or return one to the LFS. -_-

Most reactions

Back