10 Gallon Stocking Help

alscrx

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon and right now i have a pleco, 2 red eye tetra, 2 serpae tetra, and 1 painted tetra. Can i add more fish or is this all i have room for??

I have been reading alot and now i want to seperate them into groups. Top swimmers,mid, and bottom.
I like tetra's alot but what other fish can i put with these tetra's to spread out the look? I need a top swimmer so what is recommended??
Also i notice the fish hang out alot on the bottom, but i read they are mid fish? Is this normal??

Any help from you guys would be great.

hm, depending on what type of pleco you have, i would rehome it. If you have a common, those can grow up to 20 inches+ and if you have smaller species like bristlenoses or rubberlips, imo they need bigger tanks.

If you want to do a bottom middle and top swimmers, then heres a possible one:
pygmy corys for bottom
Tetras for middle
hatchet fish for top.

your tetras are probably lying on the bottom because they are stressed, did you do a fishless cycle? there are pinned topics somewhere on this forum i think. Also, imo, i would rehome those tetras because they get around 2 inches i think. But if you are keen on keeping those tetras, maybe return one type and instead of having two small groups of tetras, have one bigger group of one type. They might feel safer that way since i dont think tetras school with other fish.

feel free to ask more questions :good:

hm, depending on what type of pleco you have, i would rehome it. If you have a common, those can grow up to 20 inches+ and if you have smaller species like bristlenoses or rubberlips, imo they need bigger tanks.

If you want to do a bottom middle and top swimmers, then heres a possible one:
pygmy corys for bottom
Tetras for middle
hatchet fish for top.

your tetras are probably lying on the bottom because they are stressed, did you do a fishless cycle? there are pinned topics somewhere on this forum i think. Also, imo, i would rehome those tetras because they get around 2 inches i think. But if you are keen on keeping those tetras, maybe return one type and instead of having two small groups of tetras, have one bigger group of one type. They might feel safer that way since i dont think tetras school with other fish.

feel free to ask more questions :good:
SO you shouldn't have 2 types of tetra's in the same tank??
How many of each fish you listed could i get??

You can have 2 or more types of tetras in a tank, but a 10 gallon isn't really sufficient for each to have a ideal/good size group. I'm thinking each group should be 6+. After putting in one group of maybe 5 tetras, I would think all you would have room for is maybe 5 rasboras and 3 or 4 amano shrimp.

EDIT: I agree that the plec should be rehomed.

You can have 2 or more types of tetras in a tank, but a 10 gallon isn't really sufficient for each to have a ideal/good size group. I'm thinking each group should be 6+. After putting in one group of maybe 5 tetras, I would think all you would have room for is maybe 5 rasboras and 3 or 4 amano shrimp.

EDIT: I agree that the plec should be rehomed.

Amano shrimp are bottom, and rasboras are top or mid fish??
I would hate to give up pleco considering i had him for 2 years

I've never heard of "painted tetra" before. Methinks it's actually a dye-injected white-skirt tetra. Usually they die quickly.

if i were you i would take all the fish you have now back and have a male siamease fighterfish in the tank. very easy to luck after. beautiful fish to look at and you basicaly cant go wrong with them unless you have 2 males in the tank. or get a small shoal of neon tetras like 9 or 10 with a khuli loach in there. they would look fantastic in the dark.
but its up to you there are pleanty of fish out there for you to get.
if your unsure on what fish to get visit www.liveaquaria.com and that basicaly has most fish and all the information on them. it even has a compatability chart for each fish to show you what they could be kept with.
thats were i get most of my information from. A top recomended site
good luck and dontv foget to post and keep us updated

Most reactions

Back