10 Gallon Setup - Suggestions?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JohnDyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm going to be setting up a 10 gallon tank. Right now, all I have is the tank, the filter, and heater, which I believe are all TopFin. Not the best brand, as I understand it, but I don't know what else to do for a small tank. 

Right now, I have no idea what I want to do with this tank. I vaguely wanted a Blue Crawfish, Procambarus alleni, but online it recommends 20-30 gallons for it, and they tear up plants. Would I be able to get away with 10 gallons if I keep it alone? 

Apart from that, no ideas whatsoever. Suggestions for substrate, plants, other stocking, or better equipment is all welcome.

Unfortunately, blue crawfish do need at least 20 gallons, though 30 is much better. Your tank would be too small, sorry.

For substrate, I would go with some play sand, with maybe a layer of eco-complete or similar underneath to provide nutrients for plants, though if you're not planning on heavily planting, that probably wouldn't be needed.

Plants, I would go for the more basic species. Decorating the tank with driftwood and rocks and then attaching java ferns and/or anubias would look great IMO. You could also have various crypts with some hygrophila. 
If you did a natural tank i think it would look great!

I think a school of chili rasboras or pygmy corys or a single betta would suit your tank size :) 
If you go with the rasboras or corys, you could have 9 or 10.

Some suggestions:

5 2 inch fish (such as Zebra danios or other fish that grow 2 inches at most) not neons, they should have a 20 gallon.

A dwarf gourami and 2 ADF's along with some ghost shrimp.

Maybe some guppies if you want. Be aware of babies that you may get.

Don't take my word for it, but I think these are at at most you can put in according to the inch per gallon rule

If you can, I would also get an aquatech 5-15 power filter if you don't mind a little noise. 3 pack of cartridges is only 6 bucks.

At walmart there is hybrid apongeton. Keep packaging because if they din't grow you can mail them back and they will give you new ones.

Bunchbro84 said:
 Some suggestions:

5 2 inch fish (such as Zebra danios or other fish that grow 2 inches at most) not neons, they should have a 20 gallon.

Unfortunately, zebra danios need much bigger tanks than 10 gallons. They need a tank at least 3 foot long as they're highly active.

Bunchbro84 said:
 If you can, I would also get an aquatech 5-15 power filter if you don't mind a little noise. 3 pack of cartridges is only 6 bucks.

What are in these cartridges? If its carbon, it isn't needed except for removing medication. If its sponge, they don't need replacing, as they're where some of the beneficial bacteria is kept, and when you remove them, you remove some of the bacteria, thus causing the tank to go through a mini cycle.

Sorry if that sounds really negative.

I agree that a natural tank looks great and way less cheesy than sunken ruins or gimmicky junk. I have an even tinier tank (Fluval Edge, 6 gals) and it looks nice, but it seems to me it's way too small for anything interesting (it's even too small for neons. Geez ), so I'll probably just put one of my Betta's in there and get myself a 30 gal 

(why do I hear myself complaining that 30gal is too small before long??)

Attachments

• Tank Day 7.jpeg
    Tank Day 7.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for all of the replies!
So blue crayfish is definitely a no then? Shame, it's really good looking. How about dwarf crayfish? Do they work with cherry shrimp? Chili rasboras/celestial danios/ember tetras/endler's guppies and that sort of small fish? 

Sorry :/ 

Well according to THIS site, a dwarf crayfish would be suitable for a tank of your size, just make sure to do your research.
Fish + claws generally aren't recommended.

I have some fancy guppies and while I definitely love them, once a disease comes, they all get wiped out! But they are very lovely and despite that they are pretty hardy and colourful. I think endlers sound good!

I looked around a bit on this forum, in the invertebrates section, and it seems that most people say 10 gallons is fine for an US species, such as P alleni. So now I'm conflicted again. On the one hand, I can put a lot more in the tank if I stick to dwarfs. On the other hand, that blue color is really nice, and I'm not sure where I can get dwarfs. My LFS doesn't carry them, and I don't know whether to trust the websites that sell them. Has anyone used sites like eliteinverts or shrimpusa?

That aside, what about plants? I've tried moss, crypts, hygrophilia, and anubias in my other tank, but the plants all ended up with rotting leaves, and it turned into an all moss tank. If I use eco-complete, do I ever need to replace it? Will it mix with sand, or stay under?

It may be worth posting in the inverts section, as I've never personally kept any inverts apart from snails.

What is your lighting like?

Java fern, crypts and anubias are usually hardy plants. Did you attach the anubias to something or plant it in the substrate?

Not sure about the ecocomplete sorry, I've never personally used it.

Oh, thanks, that's a very useful resource. 

My lighting is whatever came with the tank, just a regular florescent light. I buried all of my plants in the substrate. When I tried attaching with fishing line, the bottoms would rot and the plant would break off. 

Anubias will rot if their rhizome is below the substrate. You could try attaching with a rubber band, some super glue or a zip tie next time.
If you try crypts again, it may pay to give them some root tabs, as most species are heavy root feeders.

Do you know how many watts your light is? If you look on the bulb, it should say so.

Most reactions

Back