1 or pair of nano fish coexist?

mac0eighty

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm wondering whether there are any species of nano fish that can coexist by itself of with the same species partner?

I know Platy's can but I'm unsure of any others.

I'm sure they'll be happier in groups but if there is perhaps any chance of this happening without causing any mental / illnesses.

Never mind tank size ;)

None that I can think of. (Platies actually are social fish and should have at least 1 other, and they arent considered nano either ;))

Tank size is actually important

Last edited:
I know the struggle you are dealing with as I’m stocking a smaller tank currently. After pouring through forums and websites it seems like what few options you have eliminate your other options. You could have a school of tetras but no betta, you could have shrimp but no Gourami, etc etc.

What I’ve decided to do is go without a “centerpiece” fish and just do a solid school of small tetras and some fun or unique invertebrates like shrimp and snails. I’m trying to make the landscape more of the centerpiece with live plants and different decor

Platys arent nano fish and most tetras arent either.
Nano tanks are considered 10 gallons or below and there are very few fish that are going to do well in a 10 or less gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back