1 male of Betta splendens with 2 Gouramies within of the same tank are compatibles?

TiercelR

Reaction score
Hello all,
firstly i thinked about of to post this thread in the Sub-Forum: New to the Hobby Questions and Answers, but because this thread is all about of the Order: Anabantiformes, so for this reason i setted this thread in this Sub-Forum.

My question is about if 1 male of Betta splendens with 2 Gourami within of the same tank are compatibles inside living there permanently?

The tank have 20 liters of capacity, and these 3 individuals could be alone and no more individuals (of any other fish) allowed there inside.

I am asking here for good advice before of to put them there together.
Many thank in advance for your commentaries!

Last edited:
Bettas and gouramis should not be kept together in the same tank. Gouramis and bettas are territorial fish which live in the same part of a tank and will fight.

A 20 litre tank is big enough for 1 betta on its own.

Most gouramis are too big for a 20 litre (or 5 gallon) tank. Even sparkling gouramis need a bigger tank, and the larger gouramis need a lot more than 20 litres.

Bettas and gouramis should not be kept together in the same tank. Gouramis and bettas are territorial fish which live in the same part of a tank and will fight.

A 20 litre tank is big enough for 1 betta on its own.

Most gouramis are too big for a 20 litre (or 5 gallon) tank. Even sparkling gouramis need a bigger tank, and the larger gouramis need a lot more than 20 litres.
Essjay, many thanks for so good advice!
So i will put the 2 Gourami together inside of a 40 liters tank, while the 1 male of Betta splendens will be putted inside a 20 liters tank.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
What species are the gourami?

Honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna) are OK in 40 litres if there is 1 male and 1 female, or 2 females but 2 males would fight.

Dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) need a bigger tank. With these fish, even 1 male and 1 female is not good as a male will kill a female if he wants to spawn and she does not.

Pearl gouramis (Trichopodus leeri) and Trichopodus trichopteris (3 spot, gouramis, gold gourami, blue gouramis, opaline gouramis etc) both need much bigger tanks.

If the 2 gouramis are different species, this is not good either.

Honey gouramis (Trichogaster chuna) are OK in 40 litres if there is 1 male and 1 female, or 2 females but 2 males would fight.

Dwarf gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) need a bigger tank. With these fish, even 1 male and 1 female is not good as a male will kill a female if he wants to spawn and she does not.

Pearl gouramis (Trichopodus leeri) and Trichopodus trichopteris (3 spot, gouramis, gold gourami, blue gouramis, opaline gouramis etc) both need much bigger tanks.

Essjay, many thanks for the information on the needs of the different species of Gourami, i learned a lot from this excellent information!

But unfortunately right now i do not know exactly which species of Gourami may they belong because i see them the last past weekend and leave them there "at half-paid" (so is supposed that they do not will be selled to another person) with their fish seller, but i will pick them up this 3 fishes together just this next weekend when i will return to pick them from their fish seller, but once i have them for sure i will look for to ID exactly what species of Gourami they belongs.

Last edited:
If you post photos of them on here, we will be able to identify them.

A betta would kill a honey gourami. The others might have a fighting chance. But either way, putting a betta in with any gourami is most likely going to result in dead fish.

sharkweek178, thanks for the information!
To give you an idea of how mild mannered honeys are. I was feeding bloodworms to my honey gourami and neon tetras. The honey got a nice big bloodworm that was hanging from his mouth. One of the neons came along and snatched it away. The honey didn't do anything except look sad.

@TiercelR , please do not acquire the gourami until you are certain of the species. This is not fair to the poor fish. The common blue/gold/3-spot/cosby/marble [whatever variety] is a very aggressive gourami for its size. You do not want to put this in your tank and have them rip one another to shreds, or eat small fish (I witnessed this in a store tank). Never acquire any fish without knowing the scientific name for the species, and researching. A 40 liter (10 gallon) tank is not sufficient space for this species. I suppose one poor fish alone might manage, but it is not a good scenario.

Ask them to refund your half pay for the fish, or allow you to use it for other fish. But please, research the species. Fish have varying habits and needs species by species, and it is frankly inhumane to not provide them with what they need. It is in their genetics and they cannot change.

To give you an idea of how mild mannered honeys are. I was feeding bloodworms to my honey gourami and neon tetras. The honey got a nice big bloodworm that was hanging from his mouth. One of the neons came along and snatched it away. The honey didn't do anything except look sad.
sharkweek178, thanks for share this view in the behaviour of this species of Gourami ! So that means that this particular species of Gourami is compatible with fishes which have very good manners.

That issue remember to me a very old tv cartoon show named as "Jabberjaw", which was a big White Shark who anybody gived to him nothing of respect at all !
Thanks !

Last edited:
@TiercelR , please do not acquire the gourami until you are certain of the species. This is not fair to the poor fish. The common blue/gold/3-spot/cosby/marble [whatever variety] is a very aggressive gourami for its size. You do not want to put this in your tank and have them rip one another to shreds, or eat small fish (I witnessed this in a store tank). Never acquire any fish without knowing the scientific name for the species, and researching. A 40 liter (10 gallon) tank is not sufficient space for this species. I suppose one poor fish alone might manage, but it is not a good scenario.

Ask them to refund your half pay for the fish, or allow you to use it for other fish. But please, research the species. Fish have varying habits and needs species by species, and it is frankly inhumane to not provide them with what they need. It is in their genetics and they cannot change.
Byron, thanks for your commentaries. Ok, i will change the 2 Gourami (and possibly the Betta splendens too) for another small fish.

I am suspecting that they could be the Blue Gourami because i can remember a general tone of this color on their sides, and they have a size around of the 3 1/2 inches each one.

Here in Mexico occasionally are offered for sale online the species named as the "Dwarf Gourami", do you consider that this particular species can have a good life inside of a 40 liters tank (if i am able to get them here)? and also this species (the "Dwarf Gourami") have good manners toward another different species of small fishes?

I know that a bigger tank is much better, but for the moment these are my bigger tanks (40 liters), and my smaller tanks are of 20 liters.
Thank you!

Last edited:
The name dwarf gourami is usually Trichogaster lalius. Here is a profile for this fish with photos.
The tank size needed by this fish is 60 x 30 x 30 cm which is bigger than 40 litres.
Dwarf gouramis are aggressive for their size. Two males will fight. A male can harass a female to death.

A blue gourami could be one of the colour varieties of three spot gourami, which need a much bigger tank. Three spot gouramis have been bred to make a lot of different colours, and blue is one of them.

Most reactions

Back