Would A Single Gourami Be Ok?

Kariann

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Will be setting up new tank and after some advice on here I think I'll go for the community outlined below. But after looking at the gourami section I'm unsure whether the gourami should be alone, or would he be OK with plenty of plants and places to hide, caves/pots? :unsure:

48 Litre
- 3 existing platys
- 1 Male dwarf gourami (I really want this one) :nod:
- 4 pygmy corys
- 4 neon tetras

Would the gourami be happy?

Is it overstocked?

Thanks

Hi there - well I originally had both a male and female - but the female died after a couple of months - and the male has lived on his own quite happily for the last year. He is also in with a few platies, two sailfin mollies, couple of guppies, a few neons, two ADFs and a few ottos.

So, my answer would be yes he should be fine. My gourami has never shown any signs of being unhappy - he eats well, swims around the tank exploring, hangs out with the platies... I saw no need to rush out and buy another female for him.

Just my opinion on it - Athena

You're welcome. Re your query as to whether your tank would be overstocked - well, if you use the guide of 1inch per gallon then with those fish you will be slightly overstocked - but with good filtration and weekly water changes this won't be a problem.

Have you already started to cycle your new tank yet? (by cycling I mean adding ammonia to the tank water - there are pinned notes about fishless cycling on the forum)

Athena

The tank hasn't arrived yet, should be here by the weekend. We have bought the ammonia to start off the fishless cycle and are going to our Maidenhead Aquatics at the weekend for the sand, plants (fabric), hiding places etc. Perhaps I'll leave out the neons or corys. Which would you keep? I don't seem to be getting many replies on these forums, so many thanks for your comments I really appreciate your input. K;-)

id defanatly keep the corys, they are great fish, although you will be fine with everything you have said in that tank, i have a 48 ltr tank with more in than you, but with good filtration and weekly water changes as said already it will be fine

The tank hasn't arrived yet, should be here by the weekend. We have bought the ammonia to start off the fishless cycle and are going to our Maidenhead Aquatics at the weekend for the sand, plants (fabric), hiding places etc. Perhaps I'll leave out the neons or corys. Which would you keep? I don't seem to be getting many replies on these forums, so many thanks for your comments I really appreciate your input. K;-)
I would keep the neons out.

Neons need a very well established tank to live, one usually that has been established for 6 months or more.

Neons should not live in a tank that has been freshly cycled, just because of the small fluctuation in the water parameters that happen in freshly cycled tanks.

-FHM

Hi,

I have kept 1 male gourami on his own before and he was fine. Its certainly better than having two males and id say it would be fine to keep one on his own.

Might i suggest you leave it at the platys for the time being, maybe a month or so. The reason being that gouramis are very prone to bacterial infections and dont do well in newly established tanks. Also the neons need an established tank (6 months usually) due to them being so delicate.
I have also found cories to need good water conditions, and a newly established tank wouln't be ideal
Other than that your stocking sounds fine.

i admit, it was me that suggested 1 male to two females, which you can have if you want, but if you want just one then that would also be fine ;)

id leave the neons and corys till later on, as they do better after a few months of the tank being cyced.

im sure theyd be enough room for 3 gouramis if you wanted 3. iv never kept 3 but have succesfully kept two and then one for about a year and they seemed really nice, pleasant fish, id definatly recomend them.

maybe start of with one, then move on to a few more if you like them or want to :nod:

good luck, what 48ltr have you got? x

Hi Kariann

I noticed that in your first post, when listing the fish you said "3 existing platies" - can I ask where they are "existing"? Does this mean you already have another tank set-up?

If you, or someone you know, has this other tank with the platies in it - you could use some of the filter media to add to your new filter to kick-start the whole process and your tank will cycle much quicker.

Athena

yes, he has a 15ltr, i believe x

good point, you could use some of the filter media from your 15ltr wich will then speed up to cycling so you can rehome your platies in a bigger tank x :nod:

Thanks so much that has been really helpful. I will cycle the tank and then add the existing platys from our 15 litre tank (thanks I will used some of the media from this when cycling). Unfortunately, one of the platys died today but we kinda expected it as we named him the "sickly one" within a day or two of having him as he never seemed to be well or happy :( . The others look fine and have always been really happy. After 3 months or so we'll get the Gourami and Corys but leave the neons out for now.

The tank is an Intrepet Fish Pod 48? Looked nice, has curved glass for good viewing, twin lighting system - one Bright White light for the daytime and one Cool Blue Moon light for nightime and comes complete with award winning PF Filter and Deltatherm Heater (that's what is says anyway) I hope its OK, cos I'm really excited about it all.

Thanks again, you've all been so helpful. Definitely the best forum (joined 4) so far. :good: :D

i have to agree, i personally have only found one other. nice members, will have a chat with some every now and again, but then this one is usually fast replies, nice members and im happy to help and get helped. whenever i have a problem with my fish or tank, i will come on here. or ill come on in my spare time to try and help other ;) x

i have to agree, i personally have only found one other. nice members, will have a chat with some every now and again, but then this one is usually fast replies, nice members and im happy to help and get helped. whenever i have a problem with my fish or tank, i will come on here. or ill come on in my spare time to try and help other ;) x
I love to chat...lol. :fun:

If you wanna chat shoot me a PM! :good:

-FHM

Most reactions

Back