Where do you get your wood and rocks?

Coryking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So as some of you may know I'm currently planning out a 40gallon southeast Asian themed aquarium (not a biotop) and in wondering where you get your rocks and wood from. I've used charterhouse aquatics before and I was too impressed with what I got. I've looked on pro shrimp, aquarium gardens and my local fish shop. Pro shrimp seems to be the cheapest for wood while my LFS is the cheapest for rock but they don't have a good variety. So is there any other good websites for wood and rock or is pro shrimp and aquarium gardens the best.

I am in the states, but I get most of my roacks and slate from a local stone and gravel yard. They sell river rounds which come in a variety of colors and are smooth. The usually also sell flagstones. I wander though that area collecting the scraps that have broken or sheared off to use in my tanks.

Himmel-riverrock-1.jpg

I get some other rocks I have used as well, but one needs to be sure they are safe in a tank first.

I am in the states, but I get most of my rocks and slate from a local stone and gravel yard. They sell river rounds which come in a variety of colours and are smooth. The usually also sell flagstones. I wander though that area collecting the scraps that have broken or sheared off to use in my tanks.

Himmel-riverrock-1.jpg

I get some other rocks I have used as well, but one needs to be sure they are safe in a tank first.
Yes that's a good idea I will look into that

I failed to cover the wood part of the OP's Q. I buy all the wood I use. Because I breed a number of plecos their tanks need rocks wood and caves but not plants. I also want wood that will sink right away. In display tanks I do keep other wood which is purchased because of how it looks. So for the most part I use Malyasian wood. That way I know it should be aquarium safe.

This wood will leech tannins initially, however, you can do a bunch of pre-soaks to get a lot of it out. Carbon also removes tannins from water.

Agree, Malaysian Driftwood has for my 20-30 years been the safest and most effective. As mentioned it sinks immediately and I have always found tannins minimal if even at all.

I failed to cover the wood part of the OP's Q. I buy all the wood I use. Because I breed a number of plecos their tanks need rocks wood and caves but not plants. I also want wood that will sink right away. In display tanks I do keep other wood which is purchased because of how it looks. So for the most part I use Malyasian wood. That way I know it should be aquarium safe.

This wood will leech tannins initially, however, you can do a bunch of pre-soaks to get a lot of it out. Carbon also removes tannins from water.
Agree, Malaysian Driftwood has for my 20-30 years been the safest and most effective. As mentioned it sinks immediately and I have always found tannins minimal if even at all.
Where do you get your wood from? Online or from a local fish store?

Where do you get your wood from? Online or from a local fish store?

I always got mine from a local fish store. I was lucky to have one or two or three over the years that carried this wood, and because every piece is natural and thus unique, selecting just the shape/size I needed allowed me to plan my aquascapes well. It probably has different names, I believe a UK book calls it ironwood, but just guessing. It is very dark brown always, never light or buff tone, and it sinks immediately so it is "heavier" than other wood. It has always been safe, though that is no guarantee, but I have had two different pieces of wood purchased in a fish store too that killed fish so this is important.

I always got mine from a local fish store. I was lucky to have one or two or three over the years that carried this wood, and because every piece is natural and thus unique, selecting just the shape/size I needed allowed me to plan my aquascapes well. It probably has different names, I believe a UK book calls it ironwood, but just guessing. It is very dark brown always, never light or buff tone, and it sinks immediately so it is "heavier" than other wood. It has always been safe, though that is no guarantee, but I have had two different pieces of wood purchased in a fish store too that killed fish so this is important.
Thanks Bryon, and two tank admin, I will definitely look into iron wood. My current vision for the tank is a black water dual island scape with glass catfish and lambchop rasboras, I do have one more question how much do you spend on wood, rocks and plants on a aquascape?

Last edited:
I cannot remember the price per weight, or price per "size" according to the store's small, medium, large, x-large. It was years ago too, this wood is very slow to rot (I cannot ever remember a piece that did) so I had some pieces well past 15 years.

Most reactions

Back