What is this fish called?

Robbie-2014

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me on identifying this fish that I have. The pet shop has told me the name of it sometime back. But I had forgotten the name of it. The thing is I would like some cherry shrimps. I have 4 panda Cory catfish and 4 Otocinclus in the tank at the moment with this little guy. I was going to set up a new 17 litre tank for shrimps. But thought I could just add them in with these guys in my 200 litre tank instead. I know they will be fine with panda Cory catfish and Otocinclus. But I’m not to sure with this fish. If anyone could give me the name of it and if this fish can go with cherry shrimps. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3936.jpeg
    IMG_3936.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_3935.jpeg
    IMG_3935.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3934.jpeg
    IMG_3934.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 27
One of the Garra rufa nomenclature, (Heckel, 1843). Discognathus crenulatus. Heckel, 1846-49; Discognathus obtusus Heckel, 1843; Discognathus rufus Heckel, 1843.

Also called Red Garra. The shape of yours looks like a Rudohneda but the picture is not good enough, they have slightly longer fins and no tip coloration.

I think you are right after looking at a photo of it online. Thank you. 👍

I've kept and bred Garra rufas in the past. They become about 10cm in size. Some even longer. They're quite friendly. I use them also for fish with fungus. They just eat it and it won't harm them.
These fish are also used in spas to eat the dead skin cells of somebody's skin.

I've kept and bred Garra rufas in the past. They become about 10cm in size. Some even longer. They're quite friendly. I use them also for fish with fungus. They just eat it and it won't harm them.
These fish are also used in spas to eat the dead skin cells of somebody's skin.

That's pretty neat! Have you witnessed them eating fungus directly off of another fish? Sounds like a freshwater remora

That's pretty neat! Have you witnessed them eating fungus directly off of another fish? Sounds like a freshwater remora
I did. Well, they are also called doctor's fish.

Most reactions

Back