Well, now I have a cat-Please help!!

I'll put on the show tn! I watched it as a kid but didn't pay much attention. I'm trying to find things I can put up for him to climb on without causing damage to the wall (so the college doesn't fine me). I've found some window attachments and free-standing stuff on Facebook Market place which I think I'll try. I'm doing my best to give him a schedule, but work has been completely thrown into a spin after I disappeared for a week, I'm trying to help my dad and his wife get ready to move and care for my mom and am still making emergent 6 hour trips for my grandmother, plus travel obligations I have for my more distant school. So right now he's just getting the best I can offer. Once I get to college he'll be on a very strict regiment
It's great that you are taking on a senior cat in the first place. It sounds like you are doing great even though your life is in a blender right now.

Sounds like you already off to a great start as with any pet what you have written seems you got his best interests at heart, with that in mind you won't far wrong. With any pet keep them fed (but not over fed), watered, pampered and safe :) the rest will work out just fine. Don't let him tell you when he has had enough to eat as some will just keep eating, do a bit of research.

I prefer dogs :)
IMG_20230503_154110.jpg

We adopted an almost 15 year old cat in 2020, he was 17 1/2 when he had to be put to sleep.

He came with one of those hooded litter trays, but this one had a detachable front flap. He could get in and out easily with the flap removed but it stopped the litter going everywhere.
And we used almost the same litter as seangee - Tigerino Nuggies. I comes in various perfumes, and unscented.

Our cat never played with toys, he looked at us as if to say - what on earth do you expect me to do with that. And he never climbed anything higher than a chair seat or bed, with hindsight we now wonder if the abdominal tumour was already growing when we adopted him.

Cats have parts of their body they don't like you to touch. With our cat it was his belly. If he lets you know (which could be by lashing out, though with no claws it shouldn't draw blood) you'll soon learn where he will allow and where he won't.

He will also let you know quickly which food he'll eat and which he won't. Try different food, but just a small amount at first. Don't change his diet all at once, do it gradually.

I donā€™t have a cat, the only cat at my house is my sistersā€™. But Iā€™m eager to follow this thread!
I just wanted to say how I love this forum and the amount of help people give all aroundā€¦ itā€™s a great atmosphere!!

It usually doesn't take much to get a cat to eat wet food. It's more savory than dry. Although you should still give him dry. I liked to give mine wet once a day and then have dry out for them to eat throughout the day. The water bowl is a good idea if you aren't going to be around to make sure fresh water is always available.
One thing about the wet food though. Cats each have their own personality and their own preferences. I've found they have different preferences for flavors.
That's important, and like people (and dogs) they get more set in their ways as they age. I have one cat who won't touch wet food and another who won't touch dry (the other will eat anything and everything :D). My daughter's cat will starve before he will eat any other flavour or brand to his normal food. Start with what he is used to. If you want to change food do it gradually over a week or two. Just swap out 10% on day 1. If that works after a couple of days increase to 20% until you reach 100%.

My grandfather is one of those prepared-for-everything kinda guys. So with the cat, I was given lots of litter and food he had already stockpiled. The food is dry, so I might try to introduce little bits of wet food into his diet over the course of the summer for some extra hydration. He's a very odd cat. I've set some things (suitcases, chairs, hampers, etc) around the room for him to climb on but he doesn't seem interested--possibly just old age. He likes to knock everything off one particular dresser, though, which I think is pretty standard cat stuff.

In terms of litter... I went ahead and bit the bullet. I spent an ungodly amount on a litter box for an elderly cat, but at least got it second hand. My thought process was I have had to spend nothing on him, his food, his litter, or his medical care so far. Most people do spend a few hundred dollars when they first get an animal anyways. Plus, I can't morally keep him with my roommate without knowing I've taken every possible precaution to reduce litter smell. Once this weird piece of technology arrives, I'll let you guys know if it seems worth the $$$. Hopefully I'll have convinced him to use it before the end of August.
Thank you everyone! Love this community

Beautiful cat you have there. Be sure to enter him in the Pet of the Month contest which will start accepting entries in mid July.

Do you have a link to the model of the state of the art litter box you are getting? I love reading about newfangled mechanical things.

Hi, wishing the best for your family and you and your new furry friend! As for the catā€™s accommodationsā€¦ Iā€™m sure he will tell you what used to be your bed will now be his and he will graciously share it with you as his new favorite person, who he likes to cuddle with. They like to be up high anyway. I donā€™t think he would use a cat bed unless he has been. If he actually slept in one before, Iā€™d try to get that one for the familiar comforts of home. The replenishing water bowl is a great idea, especially if it has some kind of flow of fresh water, but he is apparently drinking well with your current set up so itā€™s a luxury and not a must have. As for the litterbox, the automated ones are the only ones that I can go to someoneā€™s home and not even know they have a cat if I donā€™t see it. Litter boxes may not smell of what is in them but typically have a unique odor that those who live with them might get used to but still isnā€™t all lilacs and freesia. If I were living in a dorm with roommates who could complain, and their rights and dorm payments might take precedence over the catā€™s rights, I would absolutely want the no odor, or as close as it gets, option. Then the roommates can fall in love with the cuddly sweetheart and no one has to see, smell, or scoop anything unpleasant. A family member cleans houses and comments on a house where they have 4 cats and 4 automated litter boxes and you canā€™t smell anything from them. That would be my priority, but others here disagree and you may also. The room it takes up could be a factor too. If someone trips on an open litter box and spills everything on the floor, tracking litter etc through the room, people might resent that. I would definitely get a covered box if I couldnā€™t afford automated and yes, the clumping litter. Thatā€™s my two cents worth.
This is my exact thought process!! Thank you for affirming those needs and being so kind. As I get over the stress of this new development, it becomes more exciting than scary. I certainly understand why a lot of people would think it isn't worth the money, but I'll see.
Beautiful cat you have there. Be sure to enter him in the Pet of the Month contest which will start accepting entries in mid July.

Do you have a link to the model of the state of the art litter box you are getting? I love reading about newfangled mechanical things.
Haha, I guess I'll have to.
It's the ABRCT Automatic Cat Litter Box with APP Remote Control. I found a new version on amazon and will attach the link here <-
It's great that you are taking on a senior cat in the first place. It sounds like you are doing great even though your life is in a blender right now.
Everything is all over the place but having him makes it easier. Out of all of the things that need me to feed them and clean for them and keep them safe right now, he is by far the easiest and the cutest. A blessing in disguise.
The enclosed litter boxes are very good however you have to keep in mind that the poor cat is over 16 years old and is used to what he already has. He may reject the new box and poop and pee literally anywhere else. His life has already been pretty disrupted, it may be kinder on him to leave his loo as it is. If you really are intent on changing it, do so but leave his old one available to him so that he can choose between them. If he takes to the new one, goodbye to the old one. I had a cat that would only use Catsan, I don't know if you get it where you are but it never smelled thankfully. If we tried to change it to something else, he refused to use the box šŸ™„
I did think about this before ordering the fancy one. But I can resell it if he won't take to it. My plan is to coax him into using it but leave both boxes available for a couple of months. Then, at the end of August, I can hopefully only take the one back to college.

Thanks everyone!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I spent an ungodly amount on a litter box for an elderly cat, but at least got it second hand. My thought process was I have had to spend nothing on him, his food, his litter, or his medical care so far. Most people do spend a few hundred dollars when they first get an animal anyways. Plus, I can't morally keep him with my roommate without knowing I've taken every possible precaution to reduce litter smell. Once this weird piece of technology arrives, I'll let you guys know if it seems worth the $$$.
Mrs. Badger got one of those for her cat. I call it the Poop Palace.

It's the ABRCT Automatic Cat Litter Box with APP Remote Control. I found a new version on amazon and will attach the link here <-
That is slick looking! I wouldnā€™t even realize what it is but it looks modern. Ouch on the cost (glad you found a better price) but I personally think itā€™s worth it. Iā€™m glad someone smarter than me invented it - I donā€™t know that I would have thought of all those security features but they make sense. Iā€™m really hoping he likes it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
looks a lot like a clothes dryer to me :lol:
if it malfuncions that cat will be taking a nice spin ride
Haha it better not!!
That is slick looking! I wouldnā€™t even realize what it is but it looks modern. Ouch on the cost (glad you found a better price) but I personally think itā€™s worth it. Iā€™m glad someone smarter than me invented it - I donā€™t know that I would have thought of all those security features but they make sense. Iā€™m really hoping he likes it.
My roommate was joking about how much nicer (and more private) his toilet is, considering we're stuck in communal bathrooms... we even have to flush it ourselves!!
He's so cute! And you gotta love the name! I hope your new furry brings you joy.
So sorry to hear about your mom and grandparents. That's rough :(
Thanks for your compassion! Everyone has been very sweet. A little fuzzy guy running around certainly doesn't hurt.

Most reactions

Back