Today's a new day.

Planned a future aquascape for phoenix rasboras on my existing 41L Petworx tank. The silvertips will be rehomed and the cardinals will be moved into a bigger tank with more space to swim, when I get the green light from the parents. It's a simple aquascape with Asia-specific plants. What do you think? The tank is 30 x 30 x 45cm.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1317).png
    Screenshot (1317).png
    185.5 KB · Views: 12
I don't know if you have a physical issue that makes removing a little water and replacing it a problem. That's what the basics of tank maintenance are - changing some water every week. If you are physically able to carry a plastic jug back and forth to a sink, then you have no grounds to complain about your Dad.
Every teenager has the right to complain about their mum and dad. However, the parents are usually right and the teenager is just a teenager being rebellious and wanting their independence. :)

------------------------

I understand about your things you said to me. I can't carry jugs full of water because they are heavy. Sometimes I need some help on cleaning any tank.
I stopped lugging buckets of water around years ago. Use a gravel cleaner and garden hose and run the hose out the door onto the lawn. You drain the water out and then flush the hose out with tap water. Get the hose connected back up to the tap. Have someone hold the other end of the hose in a big bucket next to the aquarium. Fill the bucket with tap water, add dechlorinater, aerate it for a bit then use a smaller bucket or jug to fill the tank with the bucket of water.

Alternatively, do weights. You don't have to be built like Arnold Schwarzenegger but lifting a 2 litre bottle of water 20 times a day can build muscle tone and make it easier to move things.

Last edited:
Every teenager has the right to complain about their mum and dad. However, the parents are usually right and the teenager is just a teenager being rebellious and wanting their independence. :)
The jugs can be heavy to carry and I cannot lift it all the way up to pour new water in when doing water changes. Life is different in a teenager perspective. You feel somewhat different from the parents.

The jugs can be heavy to carry and I cannot lift it all the way up to pour new water in when doing water changes. Life is different in a teenager perspective. You feel somewhat different from the parents.
use smaller jugs

I used 2 litre icecream buckets to add water to fry rearing tanks.
Ice cream buckets as a jug? Could give that a try, but it may take some time to do new 20L water being poured in from doing water changes. How did you recycle them into useful jugs for your tanks?

Ice cream buckets as a jug? Could give that a try, but it may take some time to do new 20L water being poured in from doing water changes. How did you recycle them into useful jugs for your tanks?
I didn't modify the icecream bucket. I just used the 2 litre container as it is. I held it on the side and scooped some clean water up and then lowered the bucket into the aquarium and gently poured the water out.

I didn't modify the icecream bucket. I just used the 2 litre container as it is. I held it on the side and scooped some clean water up and then lowered the bucket into the aquarium and gently poured the water out.
I see. How many aquariums did you clean with the empty ice cream bucket?

You are a 17 year old girl; I am a 70 year old woman. You are probably stronger than me. I change 88 litres water every week in my main tank using buckets.

I siphon water out of the tank into a builder's bucket 7 times and carry the bucket just above the floor outside to the drain. Then I run 8 litres tap water into another bucket 11 times (putting dechlorinator in the bucket before running the tap), carry it to the tank, lift it onto a tall stool and use a 1 litre jug to ladle the water from the bucket to the tank. The only time I didn't do all this was after cataract surgery and I wasn't allowed to lift buckets of water for a month, so my husband carried the buckets and I just used the siphon and the jug - the surgeon said I was allowed to lift 1 litre.

Compared to that, a 20 litre water change in a 41 litre tank would be so easy.

You are a 17 year old girl; I am a 70 year old woman. You are probably stronger than me. I change 88 litres water every week in my main tank using buckets.

I siphon water out of the tank into a builder's bucket 7 times and carry the bucket just above the floor outside to the drain. Then I run 8 litres tap water into another bucket 11 times (putting dechlorinator in the bucket before running the tap), carry it to the tank, lift it onto a tall stool and use a 1 litre jug to ladle the water from the bucket to the tank. The only time I didn't do all this was after cataract surgery and I wasn't allowed to lift buckets of water for a month, so my husband carried the buckets and I just used the siphon and the jug - the surgeon said I was allowed to lift 1 litre.

Compared to that, a 20 litre water change in a 41 litre tank would be so easy.
Yeah. I don't have as much muscle as Arnold Schwarzenegger did, but I can carry jugs of water, but cannot carry heavy ones.

Just have to do weights. Everyone should to help improve their health and fitness. Don't have to be built like Schwarzenegger but lack of muscle mass is one of the reasons people die. You need a certain amount of muscle mass for the body to work correctly and without it, you don't do well. Lift a 2 litre bottle of water 20 times each day and build those biceps. 💪:)

Just have to do weights. Everyone should to help improve their health and fitness. Don't have to be built like Schwarzenegger but lack of muscle mass is one of the reasons people die. You need a certain amount of muscle mass for the body to work correctly and without it, you don't do well. Lift a 2 litre bottle of water 20 times each day and build those biceps. 💪:)
Yeah. I can try to lose weight, but I'm more of a person who cares for their fish than an exercising person.

I have to go up and down 3 flights of stairs for a water change. I first started using buckets almost full around 25L. It was a pain so I gave up. I now do 10L water change weekly, a big help was a Hydro tote 10L. However, I have a tall aquarium in a room with a low ceiling which means I cannot pour the bucket into the tank. So what I do is have a 2L measuring jug that I pour into multiple times and refill. The main thing though is finding something that you yourself are comfortable with :)

Attachments

• Tote.JPG
    Tote.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2l-measuring-jug-1.jpg
    2l-measuring-jug-1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 5

Most reactions

Back