Tanks... You're Welcome! (Jonelle's Journal)

Nells250

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of space or money for fancy setups :( I've put off posting because of it (the saying "... Cadillac tastes, Yugo budget..." comes to mind). BUT I decided I can't learn if I don't at least TRY to share pics, etc. Below is a bare-bones explanation of my 4 tanks, and what they are used for. Please be understanding...

TANK #1:

My first fish, Pearl the betta, lived there. It is the tank by my computer so I can watch whoever will be living in it. Pearl died in April '24, so right now it is Betsy the betta, who I bought as a baby BOY, but ended up being a female. Also Speedy the Snail is in there.

Green Water Plant Pet supply Grass
  • Acrylic, approx 12x8x7”
  • Medium gravel substrate
  • Aquatop CAF-10 sponge filter/ Eheim 400 air pump
  • Live plants on rock and wood
  • Adjustable clip light (non-aquarium item)
  • Heat provided by seedling propagation mat

TANK #2:
This was Betsy’s little cube. She was a baby when I bought her, so it was large enough when she was small. Betsy is now in Tank #1.

Water Green Plant Organism Aquatic plant
  • Aqueon frameless 6x6x6”
  • Gravel substrate
  • Ziss air stone/ Eheim 400 air pump
  • Adjustable clip light (non-aquarium item)
  • Heat provided by seedling propagation mat

TEST TANK #1:
This is where I am trying to learn plants that need substrate. It started off as just a holding tank, but now it has gravel and shrimp.

Water Green Pet supply Plant Organism
  • Aqueon 2.5 rimless (12.25x6.25x8.125")
  • Aquarium Solutions Bacto-Surge sponge filter (mini – slightly altered)
  • OLD but unused AQT-3001 air pump that came with Test Tank #2
  • Aqueon 10W heater
  • Finnex Stingray LED light
  • Neocaridina shrimp

TEST TANK #2:
I bought this kit in the 1990s. I finally set it up in December 2023 to hold spare plants.

Water Liquid Fluid Yellow Aquatic plant
  • 1990s vintage Hawkeye 2 gallon acrylic kit
  • Aquarium Solutions Bacto-Surge sponge filter (mini – slightly altered)
  • OLD but unused AQT-3001 air pump that came with kit
  • 40w equivalent LED bulb (daylight)
  • Mixed gravel
  • Neocaridina shrimp

UPDATE:
Long story short, I found a new betta to go into Tank #2! He's a Galaxy Koi male, sorta small and super cute. AND he needs a name! ANY THOUGHTS???

4.30.24 (34).jpg4.30.24 (20).jpgP1410646.jpg

He's red and has white flares, like the sun...

I'd call him Apollo or Pollo for those closely acquainted :)

Hmmm... thing is, Apollo makes me think of "Live at the Apollo" and "Apollo Creed", neither of which are quite right for him. I was thinking of something patriotic, due to the Red/White/Blue (I named my surviving female Betsy after Betsy Ross because she was blue/red). Our presidents seem to always have boring names... hmmmmm

Pronounced as "sun"

A deep, rich red color that can have a slight purplish tinge. Often compared to blood.

Historically represents courage, sacrifice, and leadership... Since purple and indigo are the next "deeper" colors I would think that the crimson's made a lot more sacrifices.

Paired with white and blue...

Hmmm... thing is, Apollo makes me think of "Live at the Apollo" and "Apollo Creed", neither of which are quite right for him. I was thinking of something patriotic, due to the Red/White/Blue (I named my surviving female Betsy after Betsy Ross because she was blue/red). Our presidents seem to always have boring names... hmmmmm
How about Abe, as in Abraham Lincoln. Very patriotic. Cute too.

Hmmmmmmm... Abe........ hmmmm... I like it, but I think of Abe Vigoda... who was "FISH" on TV! Hmmmmm...

AbeFish.jpg

Most reactions

Back