Sort of a bonehead move…

PackardG00SE

Reaction score
When I set up my first aquarium not long ago I added carbon and a phosphate reducer before conditioning the water. (Thankfully, I didn’t add the liquid bacteria until after I dechlorinated the water.)

Did I ruin the carbon and phosphate reducer by adding it too early?

———

I should probably add that the carbon and phosphate reducer sat in my untreated sump for more than a week before I conditioned the water.

———

When I set up my first aquarium not long ago I added carbon and a phosphate reducer before conditioning the water. (Thankfully, I didn’t add the liquid bacteria until after I dechlorinated the water.)

Did I ruin the carbon and phosphate reducer by adding it too early?

———

No you didnt.

Personally the only time I would use carbon is to remove fish medicine from the water along with water changes. Carbon used to be a big deal for fish tanks 30-40 years ago but it's not really necessary these days. There's better products out there now like Purigen or better biomedia to obtain the water parameters you're looking for.

Phosphate reducer can also be substituted for reducing light cycles, water changes, refugiums, UV lights and not overfeeding.

These are my personal preferences and not gospel just showing you there is alternatives that are very effective.

Agree, Your Carbon is not entirely wasted, it's not needed at startup but you can remove it and let it bone dry and it will continue to work next time you need it. At the moment I doubt it's bound much toxins.

You don't need carbon at any time except if you suspect a toxin got in your water or you are trying to remove medication.

You bio-Filtration is the most important, followed by mechanic.

What is your phosphate level in the source water ?

My aquarium came with some bottled test kits, but I might sell them. They seem way more complicated to use than simple test strips.

———

Paper strips run out quickly, and are expensive in comparison. Plus if they are stored incorrectly, they lose their accuracy.

Liquid tests are always more accurate than the test strips, they do have rather specific instructions but they work well if they're used correctly. I'm hoping you've already tested based on your other thread 🤞

Most reactions

Back