Oscars eating Blue Acaras

Quigzy

Reaction score
Brand new to aquariums, just finished cycling my first tank. Getting an Oscar and a Blue Acara for my 90 gallon.

My question is, can I just get them both at the same time and let them grow up together, or should I get the Blue Acara first and let it grow up a bit. I've heard about how quick Oscars grow and don't want it eating the Acara a few months down the line.

Thanks very much for any help.

Oscars are predators. If they can eat it, they will. But the acara would be quite a mouthful.

Oscars are predators. If they can eat it, they will. But the acara would be quite a mouthful.
Right. So my question is, should I buy them both together or should I get the Acara first and let it grow up a bit?

Small Oscars are much more aggressive than big ones. One juvenile Oscar in a tank with one other fishā€¦ I wouldnā€™t expect that to go at all well. Iā€™d grow the Oscar to adult before adding the Acara. Then of course youā€™d need to add an adult Acara.
But oscar/s with just one other fish will always be risky. When the Oscar gets bored itā€™ll take it out on the Acara.

Small Oscars are much more aggressive than big ones. One juvenile Oscar in a tank with one other fishā€¦ I wouldnā€™t expect that to go at all well. Iā€™d grow the Oscar to adult before adding the Acara.
Wouldn't a full size Oscar just eat a young Acara?

My answer would be maybe. I don't think you'll get a rule for that.

@Ichthys posted while I was writing this, and I agree with that post. 2 Cichlids is a danger, and Oscars tend to vary individually a bit in terms of their aggression.

Wouldn't a full size Oscar just eat a young Acara?
Probably. Thatā€™s why youā€™d need to add a big one.

But as Gary said, fish, especially cichlids, are individuals. And one Oscar on its own in a fish tank isnā€™t a natural situation so you canā€™t really predict itā€™s behaviour.

Weā€™re talking about the Blue Acara, yes, and not the Electric Blue Acara? You wonā€™t find many EBAs big enough to live with an Oscar.

Last edited:
Weā€™re talking about the Blue Acara, yes, and not the Electric Blue Acara? You wonā€™t find an EBA big enough to live with an Oscar
As new and clueless as I am, even I know this isn't true.

To drag this back on track, does anyone else know the answer to my original question -
Should I buy them both together or should I get the Acara first and let it grow up a bit?

Thanks
Dave

I'm not a cichlid expert by any means, but I think both Ichthys and Gary are trying to tell you that this is a risky idea, and there might not be a right way to do it. So there might not be a definitive answer to your question.

I set up a 180 gallon back in April and my first fish in the tank was a blue acara and once it cycled I added my full grown Jack Dempsey and bought an Oscar shortly after. At the moment I currently have a 6-7 inch Oscar, 8 inch Dempsey and still a small blue acara, small chocolate cichlid, small turquoise Severum, and a tiny firemouth cichlid and my Oscar doesnā€™t bother my blue acara or any other fish at all. my blue acara is about 3 inches at the moment and it pretty bulky. I donā€™t think he will ever be viewed as food by my oscar. I would say give it a go maybe get the acara and let it have the tank for a month or 2 to establish itself a bit. Any plans to add other smaller fish ?

I set up a 180 gallon back in April and my first fish in the tank was a blue acara and once it cycled I added my full grown Jack Dempsey and bought an Oscar shortly after. At the moment I currently have a 6-7 inch Oscar, 8 inch Dempsey and still a small blue acara, small chocolate cichlid, small turquoise Severum, and a tiny firemouth cichlid and my Oscar doesnā€™t bother my blue acara or any other fish at all. my blue acara is about 3 inches at the moment and it pretty bulky. I donā€™t think he will ever be viewed as food by my oscar. I would say give it a go maybe get the acara and let it have the tank for a month or 2 to establish itself a bit. Any plans to add other smaller fish ?
Do you find that oscars vary widely in their temperaments? The only cichlids I have much experience with is angelfish, and it's definitely true of them.

As with most cichlids you never know what youā€™re going to get with temperament but this is my 3rd oscar and Iā€™ve never had one that was aggressive. They will throw their body weight around when itā€™s feeding time which can be intimidating to smaller fish but thatā€™s about it. I feel if an Oscar fish isnā€™t threatened by any other fish thereā€™s a good chance you wonā€™t have any issues with it.

This is the most useful answer I've had to this, so thank you. The two fish stores I asked in, one said you'd be fine to get both together and the other said to let the Acara grow for a year first, so you can see why I've asked around.

I have now have a Green Severum, Blue Moorii and Electric blue Acara, all young and small, in my tank. At this point think I'll give it till new year to give them a little time to settle and grow a tad then get the Oscar.

I will worry about the dolphin (Moorii) disappearing though, as he isn't very girthy at the moment.

Last edited:
I have now have a Green Severum, Blue Moorii and Electric blue Acara,
Again not the slightest bit concerned about the needs of the fish. Youā€™ll do what you want to do regardless of advice which just makes me wonder why you asked at all.

Last edited:
So, blatantly not the slightest bit concerned about the needs of the fish. Exactly as I thought. Youā€™ll do what you want to do regardless of advice which just make me wonder why you asked at all.
I really wish you hadn't got involved in this thread. It feels like you're just lashing out in general, which is unhelpful, if understandable. I had a spell like that when I was going through a rough time with my divorce.

I will answer the jab (criticism?) though, as it's inherently wrong. The needs of the fish is my only concern here. I'm going off what was actually a couple of really useful posts from Kev. If anyone (else, thanks Ichthys - but your job here is done) has anything in regards to the timing of getting the Oscar, I'd love to hear it.

Most reactions

Back