New Tank help

EndlersGame

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just picked up my Seabray custom built tank today, and there was a sticker saying I needs to sit on polystyrene.

I am assuming that this is for during build purposes or if polystyrene is a good option to use when positioning the tank.

I had planned on using 1mm thick rubber sheet, maybe 2 layers, but would be grateful for your opinions.

Thanks 😊
20240502_175006.jpg

The white polystyrene sheet goes under the base of the glass aquarium to protect and cushion it from any sort of slight irregularity in the stand.

I thought that was probably the case, I just didn't know if you could use any other materials as the polystyrene is flaking already.

Polystyrene is the best. If the piece is dodgy, get a new piece form a pet shop or hardware store. Most pet shops carry them in pre cut sizes (4ft, 6ft, etc). Try to get a piece that is 1 inch thick.

You can also get some to stick on the back and sides of the tank (on the outside of the glass) to help insulate it so the heater doesn't have to work as hard.

Polystyrene is the best. If the piece is dodgy, get a new piece form a pet shop or hardware store. Most pet shops carry them in pre cut sizes (4ft, 6ft, etc). Try to get a piece that is 1 inch thick.

You can also get some to stick on the back and sides of the tank (on the outside of the glass) to help insulate it so the heater doesn't have to work as hard.
Brilliant, thank you. I will keep it on the piece it came on and hide the edges 👍

I used this on my 90L

Not had any issues also used double-sided tape to hold it in place before adding water.

edit - also great to see you got the aquarium you wanted!
Thanks, I am so excited. I am having to restrain myself from doing anything tonight... I don't want to rush it. I will probably build the scape on Saturday so I have all day 😊

I will check out this product 👍

I'm rescaping my 60L next week! I'm the same and becoming impatient 😆. But I need the silicone and expanding foam to set first.

The mat is good for my 90L (60x40x40) but a larger aquarium may need something thicker. What Colin suggested may be an easier option.

I'm rescaping my 60L next week! I'm the same and becoming impatient 😆. But I need the silicone and expanding foam to set first.

The mat is good for my 90L (60x40x40) but a larger aquarium may need something thicker. What Colin suggested may be an easier option.
It's done! Just got to move everyone in now. 😃
20240504_132454.jpg

wow 😍 I'd never thought about an underground fish cave before be interesting to see what your fish make of it
It's been pretty popular so far. I'm nervous about them all being in the tank so soon, but I had no choice and have added so much from the old tanks, including the old filters to try and boost the bacteria and prevent a crash. Tests so far have been pretty good.

The platys and Cory's have all been exploring the cave, and it seems to be a good choice.

All of the platy fry have survived too, and are now playing with the endlers and enjoying all of the new hiding places 👍

Excuse the black trim underneath, i've just got to trim the edge off to finish it.
20240504_190315.jpg

20240504_190046.jpg
20240504_190047.jpg

Good to see they are doing well and enjoying the cave 😆

The past 3 tanks I've scaped all had either plants, filter media, or substrate from an established aquarium. I've had no problems with adding any of these to new tanks. I doubt you will have any problems since you've added a lot of things from other tanks. I prefer setting up new tanks this way as it means less time waiting;)

Thanks, I am so excited. I am having to restrain myself from doing anything tonight... I don't want to rush it. I will probably build the scape on Saturday so I have all day 😊

I will check out this product 👍
I have been in the hobby off and on for 50yrs and I still today I get excited when I re-enter, or start a big new project. Not rushing new tanks is a good habit though. Your new tank looks cool, but not sure my arms would be long enough to set it up. How tall is it?

I have been in the hobby off and on for 50yrs and I still today I get excited when I re-enter, or start a big new project. Not rushing new tanks is a good habit though. Your new tank looks cool, but not sure my arms would be long enough to set it up. How tall is it?
Hi FishyD, it's 45cm tall 😬.
Luckily I have a stool I can stand on to reach in. It was custom made to measure by Seabray, and I made it tall as it is not very deep, only 22cm front to back.
But, it fits the space we built for it perfectly.

Most reactions

Back