Losing fish after water change

Trop65

Reaction score
For the last month after my usual Python water change of 25% in a 65 gallon well established, unplanted tank I have lost 1 fish a week. I've been changing my water weekly the exact same way for years. Any advice appreciated. A couple of the fish were a little old, but this is odd to me.

Could be down to old age. Do you have the water parameters? (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate)?

How old were the fish, and what type of fish?

Could be down to old age. Do you have the water parameters? (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate)?

How old were the fish, and what type of fish?
Sorry, yes, meant to include water parameters.
Ammonia 0. Nitrate 10. Nitrite 0.
Fish were a Pearl Danio, 2 years old. Serpea Tetra, 4 years old. Red Eyed Tetra 3 years old.

Pictures of the dead fish if you have them and any remaining fish so we can check them for disease?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?
Are the fish acting odd before they die?

How do you do the water changes?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the aquarium?
Do you have separate buckets and hoses for water changing the tanks or do you use any bucket around the house?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Has the water company done any work in the area recently?

For the last month after my usual Python water change of 25% in a 65 gallon well established, unplanted tank I have lost 1 fish a week. I've been changing my water weekly the exact same way for years. Any advice appreciated. A couple of the fish were a little old, but this is odd to me.
Hello. Changing 25 percent of the water, leaves 75 percent of the old, more toxic water in the tank. The fish will add more nitrogen by way of their dissolving waste to the water before you change a little out again. The water chemistry isn't as good as it could be if you removed half or even more water. You could test the water, but a test kit isn't going to test for all the elements that are present in tap water. Your fish and plants use minerals in the water and soon all the minerals are gone. That's why the water change isn't just about removing dissolved fish waste, it's also about replenishing the minerals. The more water you change and the more often you do it, the healthier the fish.

Most reactions

Back