Fluval uv steriliser

Country joe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been bothered with algae, the blue green, which I'm just waiting for Fritz slime out, which is coming from the States, which hopefully will sort this type of algae out.
My other is a type of hair algae which I'm trying to keep in control with my long tweezers,my tank is in a bedroom, so I've started having the window blind down permanently.
Been looking at the Fluval uv steriliser, do you think this item would be beneficial to my aquarium ?

UV sterilizers can be a helpful tool for aquariums, but they are most effective as preventive measure. If you're already experiencing a bacterial or algae outbreak, it might not help that much. It's effectiveness is only on the things that passes trough, It wont eliminate bacteria and algae existing on substrate and decor.

It's not a substitute for good maintenance. You may need to address it with other methods like medication, water changes and reduced light.

For that long strandy type of algae a toothbrush or bottle brush is useful - wind the strands round and round the bristles then rinse off the brush.
But finding out why it's there and changing the cause is better for long term control.

UV sterlisers work best on killing single celled organisms that pass through the UV light. They won't make any difference to blue green algae (bga) or filamentous algae in the tank. Save your money, wait for the stuff to arrive and treat the bga, then do water changes, gravel cleans, reduce feeding, and see how the other algae goes.

I bought Fluval's new UV clarifier. Like others said, it doesn't stop anything in the tank, but it has slowed any spread I've had from keeping it out of the water column, but still only so effective as a preventative. I'm still happy that I got it. It's only one tool of many to try and combat down to the source of my algae.

Most reactions

Back