Fish dying

Connershawzz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Please help! Tank has been fine till this week! Monday my clown loach Wednesday my bala shark. This morning my Senegal bichir and albino Senegal. They donā€™t have ick. They look a little discolored. The normal Senegal has 2 large lumps in her belly (hoping it wasnā€™t gravel , which Iā€™m switching today as we speak) but even if she ate 2 pebbles it wouldnā€™t explain the other 3? I got delivered the wrong strips so I havenā€™t been able to test for chlorine or ammonia , they were a little discolored. Could it be chlorine or ammonia burn? I bought new sand substrate. Buying an air stone to maybe help with having 4 plants in there and to give movement to the other side of the tank.

Their diet was mainly blood worms and pellets. I would usually clean the uneaten worms after 30 minutes or so. But if never able to get all of them , so this is also making me think itā€™s ammonia level?

I would suspect ammonia, & recommend large & frequent water changes to start with...

assuming you are adding a chlorine remover or using dechlorinated water for your water changes???

What are you using for tap water conditioner ? If you suspect there is chlorine or chloramine in the water, give the tank a dose.

If you have bloodworms left in the tank after half an hour, you have good chances you are overfeeding a lot. I nearly never see bloodworms lasting more than 1-2 minutes and in that period some fish can even get too much.

What are you using for tap water conditioner ? If you suspect there is chlorine or chloramine in the water, give the tank a dose.

If you have bloodworms left in the tank after half an hour, you have good chances you are overfeeding a lot. I nearly never see bloodworms lasting more than 1-2 minutes and in that period some fish can even get too much.
Ok ya , makes sense. Iā€™m still learning and Iā€™ve been reading a lot , so Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ve been adding to much food and theyā€™ve been giving off to much ammonia? Iā€™m re cycling my tank rn. So less food and give them maybe 10 minutes to eat? Iā€™m thinking of just sticking to pellets

No, no it's ok, When you give Bloodworms, try to give them enough that they can go trough in one or two minutes at the time. if you see they eat it all you can add a little more. but that's it.

If your fish looks bloated at the moment, fast them completely for a couple days and reduce food intake afterward.

Post pictures and video of the remaining fish so we can check them for disease.
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and doesn't have black bars on either end.

Most reactions

Back