Featherfin or Sailfin

jxr182

Reaction score
Hey everyone. In my 75 gallon tank i have a featherfin catfish and a sailfin pleco. I love both fish for different reasons. The pleco is nice, gentle, and beautiful. The featherfin is chubby, funny to watch, and a voracious eater. But.... the featherfin is pretty agressive to the pleco sometimes. They're both supposed to be peaceful, but the featherfin gets so worked up at dinnertime he'll pounce on the pleco to steal his food, sometimes chasing the pleco agressively for a minute or two at a time. It's not an everyday occurrence, i try to feed enough around the tank for them to stay separate. However as they continue to grow it's going to be harder to keep them separate. I know at some point the Sailfin should outgrow the featherfin, but that's if he can get enough food to keep growing. At this point the featherin's growth is way outpacing the Sailfin.

I think i need to get rid of one of them. What do you all think? Others in my tank are a breeding pair of angels, some HY511 tetras and some rasboros. What do you all think?

The tank is big enough for a featherfin and not big enough for a Sailfin plec.
As for them being peaceful, they're not. They both need a feeding territory, especially Synos, and they'll defend it if they have to against similar feeders, eg other cats. They're just peaceful towards fish that don't eat from their table.

Most reactions

Back